Repotting Japanese Maple In 10 (CA) Winter To 5 (MT) For The Move

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Headed from CA to MT. The maple is currently in a large shallow box. Will be unruly for the move. I want to put it in a normal smaller pot for the move. Is this feasible? Will it live with root reduction and repotting in winter? It can stay in the house until March when the freeze stops.
Opinions? Ditch it and buy another JPM in MT used to the cold? Thanks in advance.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wouldnt want to repot something and then put it through a long bumpy car ride, personally. I’d leave it as is, or sell it before the move.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW, I used to live in Northern Wyoming and had Japanese maples in the ground. They required a lot of advance preparation, but usually made it through with minimal damage. I also had maples in pots that I would bury underground for winter storage. Depending on where you're going in MT, you may find that it's not so hard to over-winter your j. maple bonsai there. The big box stores there routinely offer Japanese maples in spring.....as well as some of the nurseries. Just some food for thought.

Top Bottom