Repotting JPB Inquiry

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can I see some pictures of what your buds look like on your JBP when you repot?
I will be repotting mine soon, for the first time, from Brussels mud to APL mix.
I don't want to jump the gun.....I see the buds swelling a bit....but I don't want to wait too long either.
This is the first one (jbp) that I've been able to keep alive for an whole year....not trying to screw it up.
Thanks for your time.

D

Deleted member 32750

If they look like this you’re probably good to repot. If you’re changing the soil I’m assuming your doing a half bare root?

Attachments

• C9A4E045-70C7-471C-8D54-5DAB720B537C.jpeg
    C9A4E045-70C7-471C-8D54-5DAB720B537C.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 8607BA37-7F8A-4644-8C8C-2C30A0937755.jpeg
    8607BA37-7F8A-4644-8C8C-2C30A0937755.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 69

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Any of mine that were going to be repotted, are already done. I repot everything as soon as the hard frosts are behind me - which was about three weeks ago.

Perhaps I am a little "SoCal" paranoid, but I like to get my pines repotted as soon as possible in the year. If they weren't established by the time the first summer dry wind happened, it could cost me some trees.

At this point, I have two junipers to go and then I am done with repotting for the year. I have already burned through 8 cu feet of pumice :)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think I'm past any freezing....but I just didn't want to wait too long.....or go too early.

As for HBR, I considered it....not sure yet though.

D

Deleted member 32750

I think I'm past any freezing....but I just didn't want to wait too long.....or go too early.

I would consider trying it. If it is mud like you said then you could run into some problems having your core rootball with that soil and your surrounding soil free draining soil.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This time 2019....no bud pictures but with how far south of me you are, I think you best get on it!
1553529497339.png

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

It’s ESSENTIAL to do the half bare root repot to start to get rid of Brussel’s soil. After a year or so, that stuff starts to rot!

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The old wives tale of JBP repotting:

”You can still repot JBP until the Cherry blossoms have fallen from the Cherry trees.” That pretty much works for all climates!
I've never heard that but that's exactly the info I've been looking for.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I hope we Marylanders are done with the cold. I just opened up my winter hoop tunnel to give the plants some sun and fresh air.

It's really windy here now. How about in your locale?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The old wives tale of JBP repotting:

”You can still repot JBP until the Cherry blossoms have fallen from the Cherry trees.” That pretty much works for all climates!
I love this! Only downside... no cherry trees in SoCal :) But now that I am out of there, they can take care of themselves! :)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hope we Marylanders are done with the cold. I just opened up my winter hoop tunnel to give the plants some sun and fresh air.

It's really windy here now. How about in your locale?
I was in WV all day today and it was super windy! Thought my damn ladder rack was gonna fly off my truck!
Due to my yard and the hill we live on, its usually breezy here.
I bungee cord my trees to the benches.

Top Bottom