Repotting Juniper in Fall

bennybenben

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a shimpaku juniper that has fantastic movement in the trunk and there is an upcoming show this saturday and I was wondering if I could repot the tree now and what are the aftercare for it. I live in Nor Cal and the weather up here is very decent in the upper 80s and lower 90s. Thank

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't disturb the roots.. They are storing energy for next spring before they go dormant. If you have a pot of the same size it may be okay to just slip in there. Tread lightly if you really like this tree!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
We used to repot all the mame and shohin at Taisho en in September. Normal after care.

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
I repot pines and junipers in fall all the time, just easy on the roots not too heavy pruning etc.
And it depends on the health of the tree.
Otherwise waiting for spring is better.
I don't know how things are in your climate, but many here in Europe prefer spring repotting.
Our growing season is a couple of months shorter than let's say Japan and because we have cold winters that can kick in early and lot's of rainfall during fall proper aftercare is needed.

But like I said it all depends on the health of the tree and your climate 1circumstances.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have said it probably a hundred times; most Junipers can be repotted anytime during the year except when the roots are frozen solid; that's from Yuji Yoshimura and not one of my insane machinations. As to the roots; you should have the good sense to understand when you have gotten to a point where what you are doing to the roots may be too much. Just remember that Shimpakus can take a lot of abuse to the root system BUT! they can take a couple of seasons to regain full strength.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fall repotting of Shimpaku in Nor Cal is fine. We're not gonna get freezing weather until Jan/Feb. And if we do, just protect from snap-freezes. Your 'paku will have almost 3+months to recover before adverse weather. Just try to keep as much 'white' new growth as practical.
AFRAME.

Here's the one I just styled and repotted yesterday 10/12/2014, although the pot is not shown here.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 81
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom