Repotting Mugo Pines in Summer

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am located near Chicago, Zone 5, and was planning on repotting a couple of nursery Mugo Pines and
other existing Mugo pines during this weekend, However, it looks like we will be having extended
90 degree temperatures throughout the next two weeks of July.
With proper care is it ok to proceed with repotting or should I wait for weather to cool down ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can do it now.
But the day after the next full moon is a bit "safer".

Sorce

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
These are very tolerant little treed. this kind of heat can be pretty stressful. All things considered I think I would wait a week or more. I live in the same zone and I am watering a couple times a day. If there are other reasons that you need to repot them I would do it in a cooler environment, if possible, and put them out in partial shade or only give them morning sun for a while. Even things planted in the ground have to be watched and watered often in this long heat spell. Good luck with your Mugos.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just did my hopeless one. It had a rough start as I got it planted in a DISH with roots exposed and twin trunks.
Well, it began to die so I got rid of the "bad" side and attempted to make it live in a better plastic pot.
Soooooo yesterday, after noting the proliferation of dead, dying, crispy, brown, cooked needles I thought "What the hell?"
SLIP pot. So should have been sorta safe.
UGH.
Roots black and rotted. Slip potted carelessly into a spare pot and now to wait and see.

Pretty sure the next stop will be the garbage. 😢

Top Bottom