Repotting mugo

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
yesterday I picked up a nice ‘Jacobsen’ mugo. I like it as it is naturally more open and showing more trunk than most mugo pines with a lot less branch whorls. In reading Vance’s recommendations he suggests repotting in mid-may to August. Why in the hot part of the year instead of early spring or fall? I would like to get it into bonsai soil but worry about stressing it during our hot dry weather here in Utah Though currently we are still in the 60’s and 70’s. This one is about 17 inches tall and 1 1/2 inch trunk diameter at the soil. This morning I did a little light pruning and tied one branch down a little with some cotton string

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mugos don't have the responsibility of putting on new growth in fall, so they can spend time making new roots.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a 100% survival rate with spring repotting. I have a 50% death rate with summer repots of mugos.
It makes sense that in the alps, the native range of the mugo, the soil thaws and rocks starts shifting in spring. That's when the roots are damaged most often.

Top Bottom