Repotting My BC for First Time Ever

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I saved this one from the clearance rack at Walmart last spring...it was dry as hell and looking bad, 50% off.
$11 for a cool native tree, I'll take it!

I sat it in a tub of water that I flushed and refilled daily last year, until September.
It grew like mad, put on noticable girth and was very happy.

I chopped it a month ago, not to it's final height, but it was over 8 feet tall and I just wanted to shorten it to make it more manageable. I didn't see any bleeding from under the cut paste.

Today I saw a few buds popping from the trunk, so I went ahead and murdered the roots.

KIMG0174.JPGKIMG0175.JPGKIMG0176.JPGKIMG0177.JPGKIMG0178.JPGKIMG0179.JPGKIMG0180.JPGKIMG0181.JPGKIMG0182.JPGKIMG0183.JPG

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll place it in a tub of water once it takes off.

Why? If it is not going to see extended temperatures, like 5 days AND nights straight? If not tub it, a night or two here and there won't hurt it a bit. Put it in full east/west sun and I am pretty damn certain it will be happy...
Not certain where you are located but in our 6B - 7 Zone it would be fine now even though we are getting another snow dump Wednesday. Simply stated, it won't be that cold even snowing.

Grimmy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why? If it is not going to see extended temperatures, like 5 days AND nights straight? If not tub it, a night or two here and there won't hurt it a bit. Put it in full east/west sun and I am pretty damn certain it will be happy...
Not certain where you are located but in our 6B - 7 Zone it would be fine now even though we are getting another snow dump Wednesday. Simply stated, it won't be that cold even snowing.

Grimmy
Well, I guess because that's what worked well before for me...
I know the submerged BC is a hot topic.
But I hear you, it may be wise to do when "necessary" instead...
I'll hold off, and see how it goes.

I always appreciate your time and input Grimmy!
Thanks!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That is pretty awesome Wingy, you did an awesome job on the roots. The only thing I would have done different would have been maybe put a board or, I use plastic cutting boards, under it, I have noticed that a lot of the new roots tend to grow straight down and your pot looks pretty deep. Nothing wrong with it, you will be surprised to see how many roots it will make, it will fill the pot this summer. If you get some larger ones close to the surface, keep them and let them run, they are the ones that make knees.

As for dunking it, I usually give it a couple of days to catch it's breath after a repot (2 or 3), then toss them in. I have done it right away too and had no problems. Mine went in yesterday.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is pretty awesome Wingy, you did an awesome job on the roots. The only thing I would have done different would have been maybe put a board or, I use plastic cutting boards, under it, I have noticed that a lot of the new roots tend to grow straight down and your pot looks pretty deep. Nothing wrong with it, you will be surprised to see how many roots it will make, it will fill the pot this summer. If you get some larger ones close to the surface, keep them and let them run, they are the ones that make knees.

As for dunking it, I usually give it a couple of days to catch it's breath after a repot (2 or 3), then toss them in. I have done it right away too and had no problems. Mine went in yesterday.
Thanks MM!
I agree with you, should have had a plastic piece or board ready.
I was unprepared... basically I forgot...
By the time I thought about it, I was already wiring it in...could have still done something, but I was working against the clock...
Wifey pushing me to pack stuff, which I did get to, but still...

I honestly do think that the bottom of the tree still needs more reduction, I just couldn't really get my tools any farther as is, without losing more roots than I wanted on the perimeter...

So next time, I'll take it all the way in, and screw it down.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Someone posts a photo gallery, I look at the photos first. When I got to the photo showing the fat white roots, I'm thinking "This tree has been sitting in water, just not very deep." Those roots are a great example of the spongy roots that form when a BC is submerged.

When a BC is submerged, the hormones (blah, blah, blah science) which causes the roots to fatten and develop air tubes to carry oxygen. You can utilize this effect to your advantage if you were to flood the tree just up to it's base. BE WARNED that if you do not have good radial roots, you will end up with a lopsided display of nebari (hanging my head in shame).

I am notoriously chicken when it comes to cutting roots back. Some of you guys do some serious cutting. Please keep me posted as to how this tree develops.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Someone posts a photo gallery, I look at the photos first. When I got to the photo showing the fat white roots, I'm thinking "This tree has been sitting in water, just not very deep." Those roots are a great example of the spongy roots that form when a BC is submerged.

When a BC is submerged, the hormones (blah, blah, blah science) which causes the roots to fatten and develop air tubes to carry oxygen. You can utilize this effect to your advantage if you were to flood the tree just up to it's base. BE WARNED that if you do not have good radial roots, you will end up with a lopsided display of nebari (hanging my head in shame).

I am notoriously chicken when it comes to cutting roots back. Some of you guys do some serious cutting. Please keep me posted as to how this tree develops.
Thanks for chiming in Bill, I was hoping you would!
Ok....so that explains that...
Your totally correct, it was not very deep.
Good to know...

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for chiming in Bill, I was hoping you would!
Ok....so that explains that...
Your totally correct, it was not very deep.
Good to know...
Dang it! I forgot to mention:

When you drain a bald cypress, you retain much of the mass of the spongy roots. As the tree grows in a well-draining pot, root tissue continues to grow, but it is not building any more aerencymal tubes. When you want to reduce the rootball, new roots will grow out nice and thin, the way you want them.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ooooo..... what if I decided to drive a bald cypress insane?
Year 1: Freshly collected or purchased tree: Flooded pot until October. Then the pot is allowed to drain during each watering.
Year 2: Repot the tree before bud-break. Trim the root ball. Be sure to at least cut all of the tips. Do not flood this year.
Year 3: Flood the pot from when the leaves are set until October. Then the pot is allowed to drain during each watering.

Repeat the instructions for Years 2 and 3.

My prediction: Cutting back the roots and cutting all the root tips will cause back-budding on the roots. That year, with no flooding, all the roots come out thin. Flooding the tree in the next year causes all new growth to swell. The roots get trimmed and the tree repotted at the end of each flood year. The fattening and ramification cycles will make the roots look like a giant sausage fest. If you don't kill the tree from stressing it out so much.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Ooooo..... what if I decided to drive a bald cypress insane?
Year 1: Freshly collected or purchased tree: Flooded pot until October. Then the pot is allowed to drain during each watering.
Year 2: Repot the tree before bud-break. Trim the root ball. Be sure to at least cut all of the tips. Do not flood this year.
Year 3: Flood the pot from when the leaves are set until October. Then the pot is allowed to drain during each watering.

Repeat the instructions for Years 2 and 3.

My prediction: Cutting back the roots and cutting all the root tips will cause back-budding on the roots. That year, with no flooding, all the roots come out thin. Flooding the tree in the next year causes all new growth to swell. The roots get trimmed and the tree repotted at the end of each flood year. The fattening and ramification cycles will make the roots look like a giant sausage fest. If you don't kill the tree from stressing it out so much.

I have been growing them in water for many years and have never observed any of that. The roots look the same flooded or not other than the fat white growing tips.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

After reading this again, I really don't know what you are trying to say here. If the tree is sitting in water, say 2 inches or up to the top of the soil, the roots are the same, they are sitting in water. And really there is no ascertainable difference between submerged and nonsubmerged roots, I have cut many off after taking the pot out of the water in the fall, not spongy; later in the Spring when I repot and cut the roots they are the same, no difference in "texture" from the submerged roots.

Also the lopsided roots or nebari makes no sense either. Bald cypress will make roots anywhere and everywhere, that is part of their charm and why they are such a hot mess when you get one in a nursery can. If it is touching the soil, it will make a root.

Just my 2 cents.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I can understand how what I wrote would cause confusion. I over-explain things. Here's what I want to convey.

The difference in flooded roots and not flooded in @just.wing.it 's post is very pronounced. I was able to correctly deduce that the tree had been sitting in water.

The first photo shows normal hairy roots. The second photo shows fat, white, water-adapted roots.

Those water-adapted roots will have developed small air channels to continuously bring oxygen to the ends of the roots.

As to the lopsided growth I mentioned. When a bald cypress is submerged in water, the roots fatten up as air channels are developed. If the flood level is to the top of the soil or higher, this development can be seen in the tree's nebari. If the pre-flooding nebari is unbalanced, the flood-fattened nebari can be worse. This has the potential to take nebari problems from mild to severe.

Below is my example. Took the photo this morning.

A few years ago, I put the tree in a fairly well draining pot right after I collected it. The long root on the left developed "sunburn" (as some of us here tend to call it). The upper tissue of the root died exposing the deadwood for us to see.

In Spring 2017, I repotted the tree to a non-draining, 7-inch deep, restaurant bus tub. I kept the water level as high as I could. As you can see, the tree is potted very high in the pot. The girth of the roots was much less than what you see, below. On the left of the photo, you can see two wounds, sunburns, on the upper face of the long root. Prior to flooding the tree, the tree had made no attempt to roll living tissue over the deadwood. Today, all of that dark orange bark has swollen and has almost healed the damage. Further out from the trunk, the second area of exposed deadwood is also healing, though at a slower pace.

The root on the right was just a regular root coming off the trunk at the soil line. Now it has a bulge where it meets the trunk. The entire bulge grew last year. Before flooding, the root on the right simply continued on its way to the trunk at the same angle you can see below. It met the trunk with no significance.

By the way, that bulge is starting to grow upwards. I may have a knee forming after only one growing season in a flooded pot. This would be a very rare occurrance for me, so your mileage may vary.

Next, you can see orange splits in the trunk. This is the beginning of what I hope to be a significant basal flare.

Finally, my use of the word "lopsided" to describe nebari. The back of this tree had no surface roots when I flooded the tree. The back of the tree still has no surface roots. The trunk just goes straight into the soil with no change in taper. The two big roots in the photo are the only roots at the soil line. This is what I meant when I said that a good radial array of roots will produce a better base. This pre-flood tree had a noticeable problem with just two surface roots. Now, the flaw is a serious design problem. I expect it will only get worse.

I compare the before and after situations to acne. A blackhead is a noticeable flaw, while a red bulging zit is a serious issue.

I can't wait to see what happens when I flood this tree again, yet do nothing to correct the root flare. Maybe the tree will fatten up some submerged roots around the back. Maybe not. If it DOES fatten up submerged roots and corrects the design flaw, that'd be a new technique to put in my tool chest.
LopsidedNebari.jpg

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I think the white tips in the photo are just the roots starting spring growth, just like growing tips on maples, elms, etc. Typical of what you see on just about any tree you are repotting this time of year. The reason why the are on the bottom where they water is is because it was warmer than the rest of the root zone because it was sitting on the ground.

Even the submerged roots turn reddish brown as they mature. While I have been successful in growing knees in submerged pots, I honestly don't think that the submersion has much to do with it other than helping the tree grow like a freight train.

If the tree is growing well, it will make roots all around the top at the soil level, at least in my experience, and improve the flare, even dunked.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the white tips in the photo are just the roots starting spring growth, just like growing tips on maples, elms, etc. Typical of what you see on just about any tree you are repotting this time of year. The reason why the are on the bottom where they water is is because it was warmer than the rest of the root zone because it was sitting on the ground.
Was it sitting on the ground? Was the bottom of the pot warmer? I missed the data on these facts.

I know what is happening to the tissue at the cellular levels and why. I'll document the process further and get back to you later in the year.

Top Bottom