Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When do BC start showing new buds?

And what do they look like?

My BC had a rough last year.

Bugs, Wind...

But its still green inside.

Still, I would expect to see buds, or at least some evidence of a future bud....

Sorce

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Bugs, Wind...

Still, I would expect to see buds, or at least some evidence of a future bud....

Sorce
Budding season isn't over. I collected trees in my area in late January and trees were budding out. Then I collected trees in North Louisiana at the end of February and there were plenty of trees with no bud swelling. You're further north, so I'm guessing you need to be patient. Nevermind you being about one Illinois away from the closest natural habitat.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Bugs, Wind...

Sorce
Patience. Mine here in Va. still aren't showing obvious buds (and they are La. trees). When they start moving the twigs and branches will show small bumps, not green immediately. Mine usually start showing obvious buds in late March...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this seemingly bare situation is normal?

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Here they normally are the last to show buds, very late Spring, early Summer which is late April to early June. They will respond the following year if they had a rough season for whatever the reason as long as you said they are still green... Ours budded early last year and then we had a few hard frosts but are still fine and will bud in a few weeks. Normal in our books related to climate and such - they are tough though :)

Grimmy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Bugs, Wind...

Sorce
Here's my bud... Hope I didn't go too early...
I think it's going to be fine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you have buds that far along in Zone 6 B you have some trouble coming. Hope you have an indoor location for this...
Oh yeah... That's the reason half my stuff is in leaf now...
Garage too warm.
Getting ready to move, so this is my last year in the garage...
Going colder next year.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My garage kept BC started pushing buds a month ago and is covered in them now. The Florida BC now has a bunch of small buds. I also have 11 “seedlings” that arrived in early March and are about 2’ tall. Three of the 11 now have buds all over them and I have my fingers crossed the other 8 will follow suit. It really is amazing how vigorus these trees are even when bare rooted, hacked away at, and stuck in a pot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom