Repotting My BC for First Time Ever

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd think to preserve taper and hasten thickening your leader you would want to reduce down the number of competing top branches?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd think to preserve taper and hasten thickening your leader you would want to reduce down the number of competing top branches?
I'm gonna leave it to recover from it's first root work ever, this year...
The trunk will definitely be chopped lower next year.
The current chip was purposefully high, just to make it easier to handle, when I did the repotting, because it was 9 feet tall.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It really depends on the intended style. If this tree is destined to be styled like a pine, reducing to one leader makes sense. If the goal is a flat top, though, multiple branches near the top can be used. I always refer to Johng's flat tops for inspiration here.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It really depends on the intended style. If this tree is destined to be styled like a pine, reducing to one leader makes sense. If the goal is a flat top, though, multiple branches near the top can be used. I always refer to Johng's flat tops for inspiration here.
You know that's a great point Dave, that I had not considered...
I was thinking pine stlye, essentially informal upright, the trunk is not ramrod straight.

But you just got my gears turning on the flat top....I'll be spinning that one around in my head for a while now, thanks!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, you get very nice specimen for that price!!! I love to watch the Montezuma cypress or BC when it starts giving out the new leaves under morning sun with the dark background in Spring!! It makes me feel very calm and peaceful
Thụ Thoại

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow, you get very nice specimen for that price!!! I love to watch the Montezuma cypress or BC when it starts giving out the new leaves under morning sun with the dark background in Spring!! It makes me feel very calm and peaceful
Thụ Thoại
Indeed their foliage is beautiful!
Thanks, I was just happy to be able to save it!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I didn't take pics of the repot and chop this year, sorry.
But I took about 5 or 6 inches off the top of the trunk and bare rooted it again.
I was kicking myself a bit, because I didn't have a tile or a board ready to use under the tree....oh well....next time.

That work was done about a month ago.
Same training pot.
Added Douglas Fir Bark to the mix this year....with lava and pumice.

I think I'm going to attempt a Flat Top style with this tree.
I think I could have chopped lower still....but I think if I can get the base to flare out well, it will work.
I wired one branch upwards near the top during repotting, everything else is growing on in ts own.

Coming to life now....
20190512_083606.jpg20190512_083645.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good man. I have one coming from Zach in a couple weeks, which will be my first BC. I've always wanted one so I can't wait to start working with it. This thread is some good inspiration. You still thinking flat top for this tree?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking good man. I have one coming from Zach in a couple weeks, which will be my first BC. I've always wanted one so I can't wait to start working with it. This thread is some good inspiration. You still thinking flat top for this tree?
Thanks! Yes, I think flat top is gonna be it....maybe one lower pad....I should probably wire those top shoots for some movement.
How big is the one you got on the way?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks! Yes, I think flat top is gonna be it....maybe one lower pad....I should probably wire those top shoots for some movement.
How big is the one you got on the way?

Yeah that should be cool. I've always liked that slender trunk flat top look with one or two lowe branches. I'm planning something similar for mine which is about a 2.5" trunk chopped at 25" if I remember correctly.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Into the water it goes.
I've been thinking lately about putting mine in a tub. It's in a 7 gal. and it's drying out in about a day, maybe a little longer (planted in 50/50 peat/perlite).

The foliage isn't really green anymore except the newest growth, it's mostly a washed out orange color, still healthy, just discolored. I think it's just from being on the dry side constantly...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've been thinking lately about putting mine in a tub. It's in a 7 gal. and it's drying out in about a day, maybe a little longer (planted in 50/50 peat/perlite).

The foliage isn't really green anymore except the newest growth, it's mostly a washed out orange color, still healthy, just discolored. I think it's just from being on the dry side constantly...
Wow, foliage already going rusty?
Did you cut back at all this year?

I have 2 BCs now and both got whacked back pretty hard, so basically all the foliage is relatively new.

The other thing I'm thinking is that I over water my trees everyday basically, unless I'm here all day. My work schedule makes it so that I have to rely on the sprinklers, and I don't want to take any risks, so they get wet more than I would like.....all my trees that is.

With that said, maybe a haircut and a splash in the tub would be good for it.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not really sure the direction I want to take it, so I haven't cut anything yet on it in the last 3 years I've had it, just letting it grow. Started life as a starter plant in a 6" pot. It had really nice movement at the base, but has since grown out :(, it's probably about 6 feet now with ~2" base.

Basically all of my plants are in a peat mix, so I really have to watch my watering. But it's been hot as shit here lately, so I'm not too worried about over watering now:cool:.

I saw how green yours was, and I was jealous:p

Kind of a busy picture but you can see what I mean:
IMG_20190704_092801634.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think it really needs to be repotted into a bigger pot, but I'm afraid to cut the roots because basically every BC I've owned in the past has been killed during repotting...

Top Bottom