Repotting My BC for First Time Ever

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think it really needs to be repotted into a bigger pot, but I'm afraid to cut the roots because basically every BC I've owned in the past has been killed during repotting...
I think when I did the initial reduction, I gave it a few weeks, until I saw buds pushing, then I put it into the water.

There is some interesting thoughts on that exact topic on the first page of this thread.
R.I.P. Grimmy!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I've been thinking lately about putting mine in a tub. It's in a 7 gal. and it's drying out in about a day, maybe a little longer (planted in 50/50 peat/perlite).

The foliage isn't really green anymore except the newest growth, it's mostly a washed out orange color, still healthy, just discolored. I think it's just from being on the dry side constantly...

It could be rust mites, they love to attack about now. I have one of mine that is infested. The leaves will look normal and then slowly start to lose their bright greenness. If you look closely at the edges of the "needles" you will see that the edges are brown. Eventually the leaves will turn yellow, then crispy brown if you don't do something. You can't see the mites, they are almost microscopic. Maybe it you had a good jeweler's loupe. I took some pictures with the microscope here at work, I hope to post them tomorrow.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I'm not really sure the direction I want to take it, so I haven't cut anything yet on it in the last 3 years I've had it, just letting it grow. Started life as a starter plant in a 6" pot. It had really nice movement at the base, but has since grown out :(, it's probably about 6 feet now with ~2" base.

Basically all of my plants are in a peat mix, so I really have to watch my watering. But it's been hot as shit here lately, so I'm not too worried about over watering now:cool:.

I saw how green yours was, and I was jealous:p

Kind of a busy picture but you can see what I mean:
View attachment 250287

This looks like rust mite damage.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This looks like rust mite damage
Ughhh.... not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the heads up! I thought the discoloration could of just been from getting too much sun and not enough water.

I have a stereo 1x-3x dissecting scope, so I'll cut a piece off and check it out tomorrow.

On a side note, in years past, I would get tip dieback on my BCs in spring. About half an inch of the new growth on most stems would wither while still being green, then get cripsy. The plant would eventually push new growth and be fine, but I always wondered what it was; I thought it was fungal.

Could it have been mites? I haven't had that withering issue with this tree yet luckily.

Thanks for the help!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Noticed today that the wire was biting in.
I hedged the top once since wiring it on June 11th.
After removing the wire, I cut it back.
These things bulk up quick when submerged.

I think I'm liking the routine of submerging BC through the hot months and leaving it out in fall, winter and spring.

Also, I plan to leave the 2 low branches as sacrifices for a good long while, to thicken the lower section of the trunk.
20190728_195052.jpg20190728_195058.jpg20190728_195149.jpg20190728_195118.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of flare is developing at the base? I am always curious to see how these are developing for other growers. I picked up a load of young ones this past spring, and have had good results with the one I have had for a few years.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What kind of flare is developing at the base? I am always curious to see how these are developing for other growers. I picked up a load of young ones this past spring, and have had good results with the one I have had for a few years.
I'll be sure to take good pics at repotting time.
Its burried quite deep.

Top Bottom