Repotting...new grow medium...water...please help

Canchinflin

Seedling
Reaction score
I have two tropical plants...a Brazilian rain tree and a Vera wood..these ask for 12-14 hrs of sun is what I was told and the rain tree grows naturally in sand and that both can withstand draught like climates...I've changed the grow medium from potting soil and pine bark mixed with pearlite to a lava rock and coco grow mix with a ratio of 3:1...I did this because the soil was staying too moist...the new mixture drains way better and but I'm concerned about over or under watering them I'm watering by hand twice a day and also using nutrients while watering due to the lack of soil in the potting mix...az sun for most of the day...any suggestioil modifications or info would be madly appreciated thank you

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know what your Vera wood is, but I do have a Rain Tree. If you've just repotted them, try hard not to overwater. If you put a skewer or chopstick in the soil, and pull it out to check if it's moist or dry, that will serve as a gauge for watering. Don't water until it's almost dry. And if it was just repotted, I'd give them a short break from solid sun in (AZ) arizona? You can put your zone and where you live in your profile, so people can answer your questions properly. Just wondering what the coco grow mix consists of?
Welcome to the forum...

Canchinflin

Seedling
Reaction score
The Vera wood is a native Florida plant...it's a hard wood flowering tree...thank you for the warm welcome and the input...I pulled up a description for the coco grow..."Coco Fiber is an excellent way to increase the water absorbing power of potting soil, while also protecting against harmful bacteria and promoting organic farming. These coco fiber soil amendments are widely used for hydroponics, soil mixes, and container planting.

Coco Pith (also known as Coir) is a natural byproduct of coconut plantations. It's a renewable resource with several advantages over peat moss. It holds water without any additives, and absorbs water evenly without any beading on the surface. Coir also has more nutrients, a neutral pH balance, and remains effective for up to 5 years.

This coco brick is free from seeds and pathogens. They naturally inhibit infection from Pithium and Phtothora and increase the carbon exchange capacity of your yard. This property helps plants get the carbon that they need to develop strong stems and recover from bug damage. Potting Soil made from Coconut Fiber is an excellent amendment for clay soils because it helps loosen up the compact ground and increase water retention.

Moving plants from place to place can be harsh on their roots. It takes a little bit of extra care to help them survive the transition from growing trays into pots and from pots into your yard. You can transplant and pot plants with confidence using premium coconut fiber.

Why is Coco Fiber better than Peat Moss?

Coco Fibers resist compacting and retain water year after year. It also is organic and promotes sustainable harvesting on palm plantations. On the other hand, using Peat Moss damages the ecosystem. Peat moss deposits are slow to recover from mining because Peat bogs are similar to coral reefs: each brick that's harvested can take up to 2,000 years to grow back!

Peat moss requires a chemical additive to absorb water, sheds water until the surface is saturated, and compacts easily. Peatmoss is also acidic - it has a pH value of about 4. Peat moss can acidify the soil, scorch roots, and wilt leaves. Peat moss bricks often contain a variety of debris, including sticks and stones. You never know what you'll find in a peat bog!

Coconut Fiber is a proven growing medium. It's a natural alternative to mined peat moss and outperforms most of the popular brands of peat and sphagnum peat. Cocopeat has a high content of lignin and cellulose. These components are ideal for growing mushrooms and other plants that require soil rich in cellulose. Choose coconut fiber bricks to boost the health of your plants and help the environment too." that's kinda what sold me on it but I'm very new to bonsai so any input or suggestions are very appreciated and very meaningful

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's very informative. Perhaps since you're in a pretty hot and dry climate (if AZ is correct) and you only used 10% you should be fine, just check that stick! Most people don't use peat moss as a bonsai soil additive anymore because it stays too wet, and is too hard to rewet when dry.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Be VERY careful with Coir. It tends to turn into mush after a very short time. When that happens it may simply clog up your soil.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won't make any difference in this case, but coco fiber turns to mush in hard freezes. NOT a reliable growth medium in areas that get regular freezes

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe next time you make a soil mix, you could use orchid bark if you feel you must have an organic component, it doesn't break down very quickly, and looks pretty nice. There is a ton of info here about soils, browse thru some of the threads...

Canchinflin

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks guys...I'll keep that in mind I figured it's gonna be a long ride with learning experiences along the way I appreciate the feed back...I really don't knw too much I'm kinda guessing and doin the best I can and turning to the forum for anything I can find...that being said I came home to find my BRT yellow not green when I left it this morning I'm a little scared that my growing medium or maybe watering schedule might not have been the best move...I may try pulling it from so much sun it was 106 today...I will update my location as Judy B suggested...very grateful guys really thank you

Top Bottom