Repotting Newly Purchased Trees

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I picked up some trees from a local bonsai shop and they seem to have this bad habit of using very water retentive soil and also packing the soil in (I have no idea why a bonsai shop would do that). When I water, the water pools for less than 30 seconds and then soaks in. Definitely not the ideal soil. Should I repot now or just watch the watering? The trees are mainly JMs and Chinese elms.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So I picked up some trees from a local bonsai shop and they seem to have this bad habit of using very water retentive soil and also packing the soil in (I have no idea why a bonsai shop would do that). When I water, the water pools for less than 30 seconds and then soaks in. Definitely not the ideal soil. Should I repot now or just watch the watering? The trees are mainly JMs and Chinese elms.
I posted a video earlier that covers exactly this. just that the tree is in moisture retentive soil, isnt a reason to do an emergency repot. they do it because its cheaper. if the trees are healthy its not really an issue. its down to whoever buys the tree to care and look after it. if you bought trees in terrible condition thats a different story.

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I posted a video earlier that covers exactly this. just that the tree is in moisture retentive soil, isnt a reason to do an emergency repot.
I was thinking too about emergency repot because of bad soil. Thanks for clear answer. Could you also paste link to your video?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I concur with trying to modify watering to suit the soil until a better time to repot.
I've been told that Chinese elm can be repotted any time of year, esp for those in warmer areas where they don't actually go dormant. Can't guarantee that as I have not tried it personally but if you feel like taking a chance you could let us know how it goes.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I concur with trying to modify watering to suit the soil until a better time to repot.
I've been told that Chinese elm can be repotted any time of year, esp for those in warmer areas where they don't actually go dormant. Can't guarantee that as I have not tried it personally but if you feel like taking a chance you could let us know how it goes.
If the tree is still healthy, I would wait on the repot until the season is right.

Chinese elms are pretty forgiving, but even when I lived in Southern California the best time to repot was in the spring, particularly if the tree was in potting soil. However you are correct you can repot them as late as late summer and still probably be ok. My Chinese elms were deciduous in Southern California, but if I repotted too late in the year they would throw fresh growth after the repot, and then skip leaf drop that fall/winter. The following spring they would be much weaker than my elms that had dropped leaves and were pushing spring growth. However I can't say any died... they just took a little longer to catch up.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I fell into the exact same scenario. I purchased a Black Pine and it looked like it was not only in poor soil but like it was root bound pretty badly. I could tell the health was slowly deteriorating, so I slip potted it into inorganic substrate in a colander. I am monitoring very closely, relocated it into a shady area and crossing my fingers. I’m hoping it was the right decision but I’m nervous honestly.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was thinking too about emergency repot because of bad soil. Thanks for clear answer. Could you also paste link to your video?
I shared this vid on two other threads yest that were discussing similar topics about late summer repotting! must have passed you by
Its about a yew, but what he says in first 7 mins can apply to any tree. as a newbie though you probably want to be absorbing as much good, free content as possible. I did when I was a newbie.

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I shared this vid on two other threads yest that were discussing similar topics about late summer repotting! must have passed you by
Its about a yew, but what he says in first 7 mins can apply to any tree. as a newbie though you probably want to be absorbing as much good, free content as possible. I did when I was a newbie.
Interesting video! So I see two things similar things to my tree that Graham pointed in that summer repotted taxus - black/darkgreen algae and yellowing/browning of the new growth. So maybe it is reasonable to do that repot instead of managing soil :) Currently my soil has 3 levels of wet - day 0 soaking wet, day 1 very wet/wet, puff day 2 almost completely dry around 11am-1pm. What soil management by watering you would recommend in that case?

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You might consider using a chopstick and creating some holes all over the top of your soil to give better water penetration as a temporary fix.
This - especially if the trees are in questionable health. Have fun and get more trees!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting video! So I see two things similar things to my tree that Graham pointed in that summer repotted taxus - black/darkgreen algae and yellowing/browning of the new growth. So maybe it is reasonable to do that repot instead of managing soil :) Currently my soil has 3 levels of wet - day 0 soaking wet, day 1 very wet/wet, puff day 2 almost completely dry around 11am-1pm. What soil management by watering you would recommend in that case?
Refer to Shibui's post above.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This - especially if the trees are in questionable health. Have fun and get more trees!
yeh, tbf ive rarely picked up mallsai elms where the soil was so compacted that you had to poke holes in the soil to get water through and ive bought loads over the years. often a dunk is sufficient and then just watering as normal. whats normal? well thats something one has to learn over time hey. a simple finger test can tell you whether the soil is moist, wet or dry.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unless it's a situation where the tree will absolutely die if you don't repot, I'd do whatever you can to try and mitigate the situation. Some suggestions have been mentioned in this thread

Top Bottom