Repotting Pines

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a loblolly pine that I would like to repot. When is the best time to do that?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Late summer or early fall.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How old and how big is this pine. You can do things to seedlings that would kill an older tree.

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think you are safe with Late Winter and Early Spring.
I repotted 8 Mugo pines this summer, (1st Week in August) with no casualties.
So it might possible to do summer/fall repotting , but not really sure if this would work
with Loblolly.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Late winter or early spring.

Adair, do you repot before you start seeing any movement in the candles? Or do you let the candles start to extend a bit (obviously still way before the needles actually emerge)?

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How old and how big is this pine. You can do things to seedlings that would kill an older tree.
It's about 4 years old and about 3 feet tall. I collected it when it was a seedling and put it in a large tub and let it grow. It got banged up a bit in the ice storm that we just had and it got me thinking that it is getting time for me to repot it and start working with it in the next few years.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Adair, do you repot before you start seeing any movement in the candles? Or do you let the candles start to extend a bit (obviously still way before the needles actually emerge)?
It really doesn’t matter. I think it’s better to repot too early than too late.

The old Japanese “wives tale” is it’s safe to repot JBP until the cherry blossoms fall off.

Top Bottom