Repotting Pomegranate

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 1 year old seedlings (Or a little younger). Is it ok to repot them now or should I wait until spring? (I want to make a clump style/fused trunk) planting with them.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you can repot them well in summer. But if it is that young, I think I would leave it alone for a bit

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

Sorce

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have 1 year old seedlings (Or a little younger). Is it ok to repot them now or should I wait until spring? (I want to make a clump style/fused trunk) planting with them.
Yes, you can repot 1 year old seedlings now. I repotted a bunch of 1 year old pomegranates last summer and they made it through just fine. I was growing mine from seed in an akadama, pumice, lava mix and I saw they had nice root systems with plenty of feeder roots when I repotted them. It looks like you're growing yours in a free-draining inorganic substrate (unless the pumice I see in the photo is just a top dressing fooling my eyes). As far as arranging in a clump/fused trunk planting goes, I have no advice to offer there as I haven't attempted that. Sounds like a good idea though. Maybe I will try that with some of my pomegranates at the next repotting. 🤔

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, you can repot 1 year old seedlings now. I repotted a bunch of 1 year old pomegranates last summer and they made it through just fine. I was growing mine from seed in an akadama, pumice, lava mix and I saw they had nice root systems with plenty of feeder roots when I repotted them. It looks like you're growing yours in a free-draining inorganic substrate (unless the pumice I see in the photo is just a top dressing fooling my eyes). As far as arranging in a clump/fused trunk planting goes, I have no advice to offer there as I haven't attempted that. Sounds like a good idea though. Maybe I will try that with some of my pomegranates at the next repotting. 🤔
They are in around 70% 50/50 sifted perlite and oil dry, and around 30% potting soil. I will check out the roots and see what I got goin on below.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes this was my idea, i heard 1 year old seedlings were best to use for fused trunks.

View attachment 384958
View attachment 384959
Very nice material to play with.
Yes, you can repot them at this time. To fuse their trunk together, you may use the dental floss to wrap around from the base of the trunks up to wherever you want to stop. That was what I planned to do in the past, but I did not have time to do that. It is very fun project. Good luck to you.
p/s: after repot, let them be in the shade until the young leaves coming out. Please update your post. Thanks in advance.
Thụ Thoại

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice material to play with.
Yes, you can repot them at this time. To fuse their trunk together, you may use the dental floss to wrap around from the base of the trunks up to wherever you want to stop. That was what I planned to do in the past, but I did not have time to do that. It is very fun project. Good luck to you.
p/s: after repot, let them be in the shade until the young leaves coming out. Please update your post. Thanks in advance.
Thụ Thoại
What is your view on using raffia to wrap around the trunks?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well here it goes
20210723_130511.jpg

20210723_133009.jpg

20210723_133928.jpg

Dont know if I should wire right now? Since that might be to much stress. I want more movement in the trunk though so if anybody can shed light on going forward from here, when to wire etc.

Now to see if it survives 2 or 3 years until I can take the raffia off 🙃

And I did keep one seedling just incase this one turns on me. All in all 8 seedlings were used in this, not much but my own little experiment 😋

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Update: all but one of the seperate cuttings that are formed into one plant have started growing really strongly! Looks like ill get one more nice big flush before bringing them in for the winter. Everything is going very well so far!
20210903_104235.jpg
Even getting some shoots sneaking out the sides of the raffia.
20210903_104242.jpg

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Update: noticed some bulging under the rafia on the two main branches. So decided to take the rafia off the two branches and keep it on the trunk. Most of the seedlings have merged inside the branches. A couple have not just yet so will re wrap those sections for the rest of summer and probably will be ready by then. It has been growing very strongly since recovering from the repot this spring so I imagine it will thicken up quick enough for the rest of the rafia to be pulled of by next spring.20220626_142240.jpg20220626_142246.jpg20220626_142250.jpg

Top Bottom