Repotting question and scorch leaf problem

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So quick question, what’s the best time to repot a wrightia religiosa?
And second is my JM purple ghost keeps getting scorched leafs..it’s literally had a set of leaves 3 months ago and they all got scorched, fell off, so I moved it to all shade and it grew new leaves and they got scorched from the hot air, so they fell off again and now they have all been scorched AGAIN while in the shade and wind protection..I really hope it survives because I feel like it’s using a ton of energy to grow new ones.. so what should I do?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
If you can, only have the JM in sun until 11 AM or earlier in the TX heat. When it’s really hot you may want to mist.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So quick question, what’s the best time to repot a wrightia religiosa?
And second is my JM purple ghost keeps getting scorched leafs..it’s literally had a set of leaves 3 months ago and they all got scorched, fell off, so I moved it to all shade and it grew new leaves and they got scorched from the hot air, so they fell off again and now they have all been scorched AGAIN while in the shade and wind protection..I really hope it survives because I feel like it’s using a ton of energy to grow new ones.. so what should I do?
Our Crimson Queen and Orangeola Japanese maples (both are lace-leaf varieties) got scorched earlier this summer in the back yard and lost leaves from the strong all-day sun. They grew new ones back and I moved them to our east-facing front porch where the sun only hits them til about 10 or 11 am. They are much happier now. FWIW, they're not bonsai, but living in standard pots to be enjoyed as small patio trees. I'm in the same grow zone as you, but I reckon our humidity is usually higher here at the NC coast compared to inland Texas. I agree with Firstflush that misting would probably help during the hottest weeks of the year. Do it first thing in the morning.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
there are climates out west that seem to borderline not-condone growing japanese maples for reasons you have mentioned
and they need a cold dormancy. as in they stay outside or in garage with average temp of 28*F months on end

good luck
love Texas btw

mine is in mostly shade or light until noon-ish, in MA where its hot and humid, and theyre doing okay

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks yall, yeah both my JM purple ghost and my blood good both lost all their leafs and now there in shade trying to form new one.. I was misting them every morning and they actually are facing east.. I think my biggest problem is the hot wind. I tried to guard them from south winds (winds period in tx) because it’s like a blow dryer on them all day.. i really hope they recover considering this is their 2nd and 3rd set of leaves this summer…

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So no one knows when to repot a water jasmine bonsai? I can’t find any videos or information on them and when I do find videos they are usually from Malaysia and I can’t understand them lol.
thanks again everyone,

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So no one knows when to repot a water jasmine bonsai? I can’t find any videos or information on them and when I do find videos they are usually from Malaysia and I can’t understand them lol.
thanks again everyone,
I repotted mine in the summer, like most tropicals.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks carol,

yeah @Deep Sea Diver i even built a pretty solid wall to protect them from the wind and while I was at work one day a storm blew through and broke a piece of my gutter off and it fell and knocked the fence/wall over and yeah.. i think Mother Nature is trying to tell me something 🤔

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
…Yep, I get it.

Actually that reminds me of a time I was in Amarillo Texas one evening way back in ‘06. I took a walk outside the hotel I was staying in when nasty West northwest wind started kicking to beat all. By the time I neared my car the wind started going full throttle so I grabbed onto my car door handle but missed. Off I went, clutching, banging and scratching on everything in my way.

Finally I saw a flag post up ahead. With a superhuman effort I latched onto it and held it in a death grip until things started to settle down.

As I got up a big old fellar came up to me and said, “Hey Mister, are you ok? You look like you’ve had a real live lickin.”

Not wanting to look weak, I drew my battered body up to my full 6’ frame and replied, “Not a problem, but you folks sure do have some big winds here in Texas.”

“Texas?” the big fella snorted, “This here is Oklahoma City, Oklahoma!”

Build bigger and stronger! 😉

Best
DSD sends

Top Bottom