Repotting -- Quick Tip For Newer Peeps

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I've repotted around 500 or more starter size trees this year doing beginning root work and such. Then looking at a ton of beginner trees on Facebook and such it struck me to say the following.

Almost never repot your young stock at a 90-degree angle to the soil. Try somewhere in the tilting it 20-45 degrees from vertical. It's my guess you will have a better-looking tree almost immediately. A straight up and down trunk is what you want in a handful of styles but for most we want some curve and movement and the very best and easiest way is to simply change the potting angle .

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very good tip. This winter I stored some stuff too close to my american elm in the garage and it fell, severely pushing over the tree... BUT, not breaking it. Needless to say, it has a wicked curve now ;)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Very good tip. This winter I stored some stuff too close to my american elm in the garage and it fell, severely pushing over the tree... BUT, not breaking it. Needless to say, it has a wicked curve now ;)

Well, arn't the struggles and "accidents" that trees go through and survive in nature what we want to mimic with bonsai?

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, arn't the struggles and "accidents" that trees go through and survive in nature what we want to mimic with bonsai?
So true. The best natural bonsai I've seen are always growing in a place that no other tree had the courage to! I always try to imagine a trees story when I see it twisted or shaped oddly

Top Bottom