Repotting season almost here!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this is a terrible thread for a lot of folks right now due to all the bad weather back east. Many of you are under snow and won't see much green for three or more months.

...but...For those of you that don't need so much protection how about a little preview of those specimens that will see a repot or new pot for that matter.

I have this bench full of shohin tridents in need of repotting and some that need new pots. I have a lot of repotting this year so will add more as I do them. This is just a photo to get the ball rolling.

Attachments

• DSC_000900011.JPG
    DSC_000900011.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Al,

Feel free to bring some of those the BIB show next weekend. I'll take a few of those off your hands.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Or you can ship 'em over here and I'll take a few off your hands, free of charge.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
It was low 60's and about 60% humidity (downright damp for Vegas). All in all a perfect day for it! :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
must be nice.still about 2 months left around here before i can even think about repots

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
We can start our repoting in the San Francisco Bay Area in late December with our mild winters here. I put this little guy in a pot about two weeks ago.

Attachments

• Korean Hornbeam(front).jpg
    Korean Hornbeam(front).jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 198

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice hornbeam.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a few of my JBPs that I recently repotted. I didn't want to wait too far into Jan. because the weather here in N.Texas can get cold real fast and stay cold for some time. Expecting snow this afternoon.:(

Anyway I'll be ready in six weeks to start the fertilizing program that JBPs need to push some good candles for the summer work.:D

The pics show a variety from a small shohin to my biggest one which is about 15 inches in ht.;)

I also repotted my japanese nire elm and removed one of the trees from the group of four. There were so many thick roots in there that I was also able to use some of them for really small shohin size semi cascade trees. In the spring when they start budding out I'll post them.

Attachments

• fall2110.jpg
    fall2110.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 92
  • fall5110.jpg
    fall5110.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 80
  • ffall110.jpg
    ffall110.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 91
  • ffall111.jpg
    ffall111.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 100

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thomas, I really like the first three. They are really coming along great. That last one, isn't that getting fairly top heavy? That pot looks tiny compared to the crown. The crown is lightbulb shaped, which is kinda backwards to me.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,
I'm actually getting more concerned for that first one, the little shohin. I'm afraid I am going to have a too big crown come next year. The trouble is there are so many great little ramified branches on that baby, that I hate to remove any of them. I'll do what I have to though in order to keep the shape.

As for the cascade, yeah it probably is a bit top heavy judging from the angle I took the picture. It too along with all of my JBPs had a great growing year last year and put on some good growth. I think if you were to see the tree in person you wouldn't see it the same as this 2-D picture where you can't tell where one branch starts and the other ends. I will have to photograph it again and maybe do a little more needle plucking and maybe a bit more wiring to shape and then post it again.:D

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree on the first one though with that shape it is OK. Even if it got a little larger, I don't think it would look unproportioned so much. Now the cascade, I have found as one who has taken many pictures that the 2-d argument is valid but only so far;)

I find that when shooting pictures I place the trees on a table and look at them from a dead on view, something that is not done when seen on benches. Maybe 3/4 views from above that may look great at that angle then look funny when shot from a lower perspective. I struggle with that all the time.

For instance, take the third tier up on the right side of my trident in the Kazari. When I groomed it for the diplay I did not notice the bump of foliage in that area. After I got set up, took some pictures, and went home and downloaded them this obtrusive bump of foliage completely out of the canopy line jutts out. The judging is to start that morning and no more work can be done to the displays once finished.

My bad

Damn photo's.

Attachments

• DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 57

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is an elm I repotted today. It is an ulmus Alata, or winged elm.

Attachments

• DSC_00090001.JPG
    DSC_00090001.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 85

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be wondering about the size of this one, here is a shot with some shading to see the taper in the trunk. It is hard to see in the other pic.

Attachments

• DSC_00100002.JPG
    DSC_00100002.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 81

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the ole Coke can for size.

Attachments

• DSC_001100011.JPG
    DSC_001100011.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 66

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sixth pot so far. I am very pleased with this configuration of tree and pot. Maybe I can keep it like this for a while.

Double Trunk Pyracantha dug from shopping center.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 112

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Might be wondering about the size of this one, here is a shot with some shading to see the taper in the trunk. It is hard to see in the other pic.

Good bark and trunk...like the overall composition as well!

Repotting seems so far away right now, as we're getting slammed with ice and snow!

Top Bottom