Repotting season almost here!

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sixth pot so far. I am very pleased with this configuration of tree and pot. Maybe I can keep it like this for a while.

Double Trunk Pyracantha dug from shopping center.

Hey Al, did you defoliate this pyracantha or did it loose it's leaves for winter?
Mary B.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh no, it's defoliated.

I thought so but I had to check. I thought you might have discovered a new type of deciduous pyracantha.
So it's O.K to defoliate this time of year even after chopping off roots? I always thought this was done early summer when a tree can bounce back and grow smaller leaves.
Mary B.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
it was 9 degrees below zero here in southern Michigan Sunday morning. I am blessed with another 2 months or more before repotting starts... :rolleyes:

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it was 9 degrees below zero here in southern Michigan Sunday morning. I am blessed with another 2 months or more before repotting starts... :rolleyes:

Jeesh I'm a total wuss. I've been complaining about the fog and cold with temps averaging between 28 to the low 40's day in and day out for weeks. I can't imagine weather that cold. Guess that's why I live in California.
Mary B.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought so but I had to check. I thought you might have discovered a new type of deciduous pyracantha.
So it's O.K to defoliate this time of year even after chopping off roots? I always thought this was done early summer when a tree can bounce back and grow smaller leaves.
Mary B.

I prune back hard after blooming. Then pull leaves all year long. This year after blooming I will leave most of the berries. this is the kazari tree for this year in the fall....shhhhhh don't say anything to anyone:D

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I prune back hard after blooming. Then pull leaves all year long. This year after blooming I will leave most of the berries. this is the kazari tree for this year in the fall....shhhhhh don't say anything to anyone:D

Your secret is safe with me :D
When is Kazari this year? I'm filling out my calendar for bonsai events and didn't find the dates.
M.B.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your secret is safe with me :D
When is Kazari this year? I'm filling out my calendar for bonsai events and didn't find the dates.
M.B.

Hi Mary Beth,

This year the Kazari is going to be in Oct. I do not have a date yet. There was a date a month or two ago but that has been changed again. This years Kazari will be different since it will not be in conjunction with the Spring Festival. I have yet to see the program yet. It will be interesting to see trees getting ready for winter. Scrolls at this time will reflect a more fallish character. We will see insects, moons and lots of dry grass. Hopefully not a scroll with dry grass and an accent with dry grass also. That would not fly:D

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ten years in training this year.

Attachments

• DSC_000200011.JPG
    DSC_000200011.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 49

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was from the second year of training.

Attachments

• 2004.jpg
    2004.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_000200011.JPG
    DSC_000200011.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 61

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How's the nebari coming along under all that moss? Looks like it has a great base, judging from the 2nd year image.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How's the nebari coming along under all that moss? Looks like it has a great base, judging from the 2nd year image.

All That was cut away three years ago. There is a new nebari growing that will be better with some time. The original looked good in a photo but was not very good in person. The process was documented here over that past few years.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
All That was cut away three years ago. There is a new nebari growing that will be better with some time. The original looked good in a photo but was not very good in person. The process was documented here over that past few years.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138

I see what you mean looking through the older thread...tough decision, but a good call...

Top Bottom