Repotting seedlings Pictures

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok so here are some seedlings and cuttings that started in december late november
the attached photos are one of my texas ebony, this one stayed a stick for about three months with no leaves what so ever when it germiniated, then I used a little extra fertilizer and it exploded, out growing the other four seedlings by 2 times.

the photos are of the plant, the soil in the pot, the pot with the dry soil dumped out then the root ball and the dry soil that roots never formed in.

this little guy had a layer of hydrton then thin peat hten lava then thin peat then small lava

Attachments

• DSCN0170.jpg
    DSCN0170.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0168.jpg
    DSCN0168.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0169.jpg
    DSCN0169.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0166.jpg
    DSCN0166.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ginko seedling

this little guy grew rapidly very fast for the first 3 months and sense then has seemingly ceased growing

Edit: hydroton bottom some peat and mostly fine lava rock for fill, again this one had a problem being wet

Attachments

• DSCN0188.jpg
    DSCN0188.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN0189.jpg
    DSCN0189.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0190.jpg
    DSCN0190.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0191.jpg
    DSCN0191.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trident Maple

This little bugger has grown like mad up until I put him in my green house outdoors where it seems he's not losing moisture fast enough..wich is odd considering most everything else can't get enough water...so something must not be exactly right.

this was potted in hydroton bottom and lava rock for the rest as it has been having troulbe being too wet.

Attachments

• DSCN0196.jpg
    DSCN0196.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0193.jpg
    DSCN0193.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0199.jpg
    DSCN0199.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0195.jpg
    DSCN0195.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is one of my weeping willow cuttings taken in october

Edit: this root ball was just stuck in a pot with hydroton for the bottom and lava rock of two different sizes for the rest of the medium.

Attachments

• DSCN0172.jpg
    DSCN0172.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0174.jpg
    DSCN0174.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0175.jpg
    DSCN0175.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0177.jpg
    DSCN0177.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is another weeping willow cutting taken in october

Edit: this one was potted with about half the pot being hydroton with a thin layer of peat over it then two differnet sized lava rock for fill

Attachments

• DSCN0182.jpg
    DSCN0182.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0181.jpg
    DSCN0181.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0179.jpg
    DSCN0179.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
finally these where all the soil mixes I was playing with indoors at the time. All these plants where potted in the 3 day mix. The 3-4-5 days sticky is just how long it took that mix to dry indoors in a seedling starter cell with no roots in it just to see how different soil components held water indoors. nothing but peat moss held water for 2 days with no root system, Fines held water for 12+ days on day 8 they started to mold I threw them in the woods on day ten still almost soaking wet.

All these cuttings and seedlings where under 32 watt 4 foot florescent tube lights using 6500K spectrum lights purchased from menards. I know 45 watt lights are what your supposed to use. These lights had about a 6 inch radius of usefulness away from the bulb. Wich read as low light at 6 inches to low + light at about 1 inch from the bulb. My light meter reads
low-,Low,Low+,Med-,Med,Med+,High-,High,High+ same scale for moisture. (also does PH and temps). Standard winter sunlight reads about a low+ to a Med+ on the scale in direct sunlight.

Edit: I repotted all of these with some 1/8 th inch lava for the body mixed with maybe a cup of peat moss, the bottom half was hydroton (the round brown balls in some of my pictures the plants seem to love it) and some 1/16'th lava for the topping, and the two weeping willows where wired and positioned in the 6 inch across by 5 inch deep plastic nursery pots. I went light on the peat and heavy on the rock as they are going to be placed in a hydroponic system at some point this summer, hopefully get one built this weekend. Any thoughts questions or comments? I believe these plants are beginning to get stressed from having grown almost a full growing season it will be interesting to see if they make it thru the summer.

Attachments

• DSCN0161.jpg
    DSCN0161.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0160.jpg
    DSCN0160.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0159.jpg
    DSCN0159.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is potentially interesting, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what you are up to. Did you post a prior thread describing your experiment plans and objectives? This seems to be just an interim or 'phase 1' report on something bigger.

Curious minds want to know. :confused:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is potentially interesting, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what you are up to. Did you post a prior thread describing your experiment plans and objectives? This seems to be just an interim or 'phase 1' report on something bigger.

Curious minds want to know. :confused:

this is part of a long term project on over wintering plants in a refrigerator or somethign similar my long term goal is to get a solar panel array to power a 1000 watt metal halide bulb and attpemt to grow bonsai trees that need a winter indoors in a closed temprature controlled hydroponic system, my progress is slow due to lack of funding and time due to the millions of parts we have on order in the family owned and operated factory I work in with my father.

I read something somewhere that deciduous trees can survive up to a full year or two without a winter dormancy, this summer will discover if I mis read or mis interperated that information.

this fall I tested weather or not plants need colder weather than the discribed 50-32 degrees F for dormancy and they seemed to not need more than two months in the fridge at 40-25 degrees F to come out of dormancy.

There is a thread in this forum titled "Hello I Recently" http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?9934-Hello-I-recently

that basically turned into me bullishly arguing with most active forum members, has some pictures of me just starting out, list of links I have saved in my email.

I have basically sense then been using this forum to document my progress on the experiment in case A my hard drive crashes and B I lose my email address.

I've done a lot of reading sense I started and fear I may have muddled some of the information and the only way to test it was to go out and do it so this is basically a progress report for the approximate 6 month marker.

but sense I started growing plants I found that the best way to fertilize is 1/4 strength fert every watering during the active growing season, I was using half strength every other watering and was getting poor results, I switch to the quarter strength method and had an explosion of growth, some of my trunk grew by four fold, I also have some plants 4 of them actually that where grown in natural light all winter (an oak a weeping willow a pine of some sort and some decidous tree that grows pine cone looking seed pods when it's adult) those grew the most, the oak under artificial light made it 5 months befor it died, the oak that was under natural light seems to be going into a stress dormancy the pine is growing more slowly now that it's been active for 6+ months aswell as the pinecone broad leaf tree. the weeping willow started to slow down but I hadn't noticed that my wire holding it up was cutting off the circulation to the crown (where the growth had stopped) wich I fixed yesterday.

all these plants have made it thru 3 spider mite infestations 2 indoors, one chemical burn from pesticides, a dormancy in the fridge and being ripped out of the ground like weeds with the exception of the cuttings and seedlings (the oaks the pine and the pine cone where all pulledu p like weeds along with a total of ten trees that only 3 survived) on top of being grown indoors under less than recomended light.

hope you can make some sense of this lol I'm kinda all over the place while I tend the machine and write out these posts.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
this is part of a long term project on over wintering plants in a refrigerator or somethign similar my long term goal is to get a solar panel array to power a 1000 watt metal halide bulb and attpemt to grow bonsai trees that need a winter indoors in a closed temprature controlled hydroponic system, my progress is slow due to lack of funding and time due to the millions of parts we have on order in the family owned and operated factory I work in with my father.

I read something somewhere that deciduous trees can survive up to a full year or two without a winter dormancy, this summer will discover if I mis read or mis interperated that information.

this fall I tested weather or not plants need colder weather than the discribed 50-32 degrees F for dormancy and they seemed to not need more than two months in the fridge at 40-25 degrees F to come out of dormancy.

There is a thread in this forum titled "Hello I Recently" http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?9934-Hello-I-recently

that basically turned into me bullishly arguing with most active forum members, has some pictures of me just starting out, list of links I have saved in my email.

I have basically sense then been using this forum to document my progress on the experiment in case A my hard drive crashes and B I lose my email address.

I've done a lot of reading sense I started and fear I may have muddled some of the information and the only way to test it was to go out and do it so this is basically a progress report for the approximate 6 month marker.

but sense I started growing plants I found that the best way to fertilize is 1/4 strength fert every watering during the active growing season, I was using half strength every other watering and was getting poor results, I switch to the quarter strength method and had an explosion of growth, some of my trunk grew by four fold, I also have some plants 4 of them actually that where grown in natural light all winter (an oak a weeping willow a pine of some sort and some decidous tree that grows pine cone looking seed pods when it's adult) those grew the most, the oak under artificial light made it 5 months befor it died, the oak that was under natural light seems to be going into a stress dormancy the pine is growing more slowly now that it's been active for 6+ months aswell as the pinecone broad leaf tree. the weeping willow started to slow down but I hadn't noticed that my wire holding it up was cutting off the circulation to the crown (where the growth had stopped) wich I fixed yesterday.

all these plants have made it thru 3 spider mite infestations 2 indoors, one chemical burn from pesticides, a dormancy in the fridge and being ripped out of the ground like weeds with the exception of the cuttings and seedlings (the oaks the pine and the pine cone where all pulledu p like weeds along with a total of ten trees that only 3 survived) on top of being grown indoors under less than recomended light.

hope you can make some sense of this lol I'm kinda all over the place while I tend the machine and write out these posts.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Just remember that the inspiration for the wheel was not the brick. Things with corners do not roll very well.

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish you all the luck in the world. Just remember that the inspiration for the wheel was not the brick. Things with corners do not roll very well.

I still maintain, because of what I believe I read about dormancy in multiple locations across the web it's pheasable. (most sources are sited in the links post of my original thread)

and with global warming on the rise and numerous non US sources think that quite possibly within the next 20-50 years global warming will be in full swing due to the exponential release of natural methane deposities (wich has 100 times more heat retention value than CO2) this project of mine may very well save numerous plant life and possibly help sustain human life well into the future after the plant has reverted back to desert.

Many natural methane deposits have started this release over a year ago across all tundra in the world, most of wich grew from a square foot to a square kilometer in a years time. (mainly observed in russian and alaskan tundra)

Also the wheel was invented by someone who didn't think with corners

Edit: one last thing about methane according to the ice core record the last time this much methane was being released into the atmosphere only 5% of the animal population of the planet survived

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
May I suggest that you keep it all in this one thread - it will be easier for all us.

I support your intentions and am looking forward to more.

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
May I suggest that you keep it all in this one thread - it will be easier for all us.

I support your intentions and am looking forward to more.

I will be adding my re potting and further progress to this thread in the future yes.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I will be adding my re potting and further progress to this thread in the future yes.

And sometimes you get killed just because someone doesn't like your argument right or wrong.

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
that is very true people are the most unruly animal in the kingdom

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Austin! Good to hear from you! Been a long while! Seems you are still sticking to your plans and goals! As always best of luck and TY for the updates! :cool:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some pictures of some weeping willow cuttings I grew in peat moss and hydroton that I will load soon, and when I do I will load pictures of my favorite cutting it grew almost 3 feet in 5 months then I started pruning it.

hopefully they will make it the full 12 months between dormancy only time will tell =D it may be another year befor I get my refrigerator hydroponic system together and start testing it for indoor use. Until then I have a big flood table thats a couple days away from completion to just simplify watering the 60 some odd plants I have so far.

I also ask a moderator to delete the argument posts from this thread, hopefully it happens I just want to document my progress and findings and if it fails you guys can tell me "I told you so" all you want.

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
willow cutting from this spring

one group picture then the root system and the plant for one of them

Edit: I knocked off half the peat, hten potted it like the rest hydroton half for the bottom, but mixed peat with bigger lava rock about 65% lava and 35% peat, as I have done with the rest of my repots.

Attachments

• DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0208.jpg
    DSCN0208.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0200.jpg
    DSCN0200.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
number 2 and 3

Attachments

• DSCN0212.jpg
    DSCN0212.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0211.jpg
    DSCN0211.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0210.jpg
    DSCN0210.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0209.jpg
    DSCN0209.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 6

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
boxelder started in late january

Attachments

• DSCN0215.jpg
    DSCN0215.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0216.jpg
    DSCN0216.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0217.jpg
    DSCN0217.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 8

Austin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 inch fork cutting started in early october

this one I just put about 3 inches of rock in the bottom of hte pot hten put top soil from home depot ontop of that and as the sand sunk I added chiken grit and fish tank rock to the top.

This plant started with one bud at hte botom that grew about 10 inches in 2 months and I wraped that one around the trunk as it grew and I continued to do the same with the two original branches and the other two new branches that grew out of the base, snese then the original branches have died in the twist of the trunk, wich will make for an interesting trunk once it starts to fuse, it has all ready started to fuse at the base where I started to wrap the first new branch around the exsisting ones, over a full inch of it has fused.

Attachments

• DSCN0220.jpg
    DSCN0220.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0223.jpg
    DSCN0223.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0221.jpg
    DSCN0221.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0219.jpg
    DSCN0219.jpg