Repotting troubles

Reaction score
I am very new to Bonsai and started really repotting a few weeks ago. I am concerned about my Bahama Berry that I repotted two and a half weeks ago. A few days after, nearly all the leaves at the bases of the branches started turning yellow and fell off. More leaves are turning yellow but at a slower rate, so I thought maybe it was just the shock of the repotting, but some of the newer growth at the tips of the branches are starting to yellow so now I am getting worried about it. I have attached a few pictures. I keep it in a SW facing window that gets sun almost all day, I water it almost every 2 days, and mist the leaves almost every day, I do not have AC and have not been running the heat anymore so it is a relatively humid environment for indoors. Is there something i can do differently/more for it? More water? Sun? Fertilizer? Humidity? Less water?

Attachments

• C04639EF-82AE-488E-BB19-DAECE4A0396C.jpeg
    C04639EF-82AE-488E-BB19-DAECE4A0396C.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 6841ABBA-515D-4B89-B833-0767C38FF074.jpeg
    6841ABBA-515D-4B89-B833-0767C38FF074.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 8E2A6D9F-01F3-40B9-A2E0-29ED2D9DA458.jpeg
    8E2A6D9F-01F3-40B9-A2E0-29ED2D9DA458.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 48

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome! It would help if you put your location in your profile. The Bahama Berry is a tropical. The best season to repot tropicals is in the summer so you may have repotted a little early. That could be one issue. Another, after repotting it is a good idea to keep it in a less sunny spot for a couple of weeks. Bahama Berry can be a little fickle too. They don't respond well to drying out. Your potting mix looks well draining this may have happened. That said, I think it has a shot at making it. Many tropicals will drop leaves in response to any of the things I have mentioned. If night time temps have warmed into the 50's it may be a good idea to leave it outside.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ill do my best to tell you what I see.

1) I do not know if a bahama berry is a tropical species (it looks like an evergreen) or not, but for the most part your trees need to be outside and not just in a window. It's a common mistake when first starting out. I did it. A lot of people do it. Speaking on tropical or succulent species, i usually keep mine indoors unless is above 45F.

2) Watering should be on an as needed basis. Most people are once a day. In summer, it can be twice a day. From your pictures the mix your bonsai is in looks very dry. I can't tell what kind of mix that is though.

3) The tree itself looks stressed. possibly not enough water, possibly from being inside, possibly not enough sun. its hard for me to tell. I does look like it has stoped pushing new growth.

4) I would find a spot for it outside if possible. Morning sun, afternoon shade. water it daily and throughly where the water runs through the drainage holes, and hope for the best.

5) If it dies, don't let it be in vain. Learn. Get more trees. Have fun. Enjoy Bonsai.

- JS

Reaction score
Thank you both, I think I have been timid about over watering and probably need to keep it more watered. The mix is just the Hoffman brand Bonsai soil. We’re in Virginia so the temperatures are still fluctuating a some, but I think we are finally past anything below 45 for sure so maybe I will try moving it outside too. In the summer it can get pretty hot and I have read that these should not be in heat over 89 degrees, would it be ok to bring it back inside then (if it lives) or just keep it in shade? What about fertilizer, could some more food help it?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mary Miller in Fla. is a long-time expert on tropical species. The Bahama berry, as suggested by the name is a tropical zone species native to islands in the Bahamas.
You've picked a finicky species. Note--"they do not recover well after drying out" They are true tropical. Sun here won't hurt them. Biggest issue in full sun will be drying out this summer.
https://www.bonsaimary.com/bahama-berry-bonsai-care.html

FWIW, I'm in Va. also. It's past frost and freezing here. I'd get this outdoors now. We've got highs in the 70s and even into the 80s now. I would watch the forecast for nighttime lows below 45, though.

Fill out the zone info in your avatar. It will help everyone give you correct advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Needs more water.

Repot more near the full moon for faster recovery.....but.....water water water..

Sorce

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you both, I think I have been timid about over watering and probably need to keep it more watered. The mix is just the Hoffman brand Bonsai soil. We’re in Virginia so the temperatures are still fluctuating a some, but I think we are finally past anything below 45 for sure so maybe I will try moving it outside too. In the summer it can get pretty hot and I have read that these should not be in heat over 89 degrees, would it be ok to bring it back inside then (if it lives) or just keep it in shade? What about fertilizer, could some more food help it?

just to add one more thing, fertilizer is more of a supplement/vitamin rather than food/nutrients/energy, the latter is photosynthesis aka the sun. Fertilizer at this point more than likely wont help.

Top Bottom