Repotting with a really dense sheen? What to do?

evanjt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all,
I was wondering about what to do when repotting with a sheen that is so dense water doesn’t penetrate it, should you go in there and replace the soil while leaving the outside of the root ball intact. This question is not pointed specifically at azaleas but more in general I guess. I kind of wanted to know for trees in which we don’t fully bare root i.e. pines and most evergreen trees.
So I guess my main question is should you ever go into the sheen and remove the soil completely, as Akadama and/or Kanuma will eventually break down, to replace it on Azalea, Pines, Junipers and other evergreens species?
Thanks

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello all,
I was wondering about what to do when repotting with a sheen that is so dense water doesn’t penetrate it, should you go in there and replace the soil while leaving the outside of the root ball intact. This question is not pointed specifically at azaleas but more in general I guess. I kind of wanted to know for trees in which we don’t fully bare root i.e. pines and most evergreen trees.
So I guess my main question is should you ever go into the sheen and remove the soil completely, as Akadama and/or Kanuma will eventually break down, to replace it on Azalea, Pines, Junipers and other evergreens species?
Thanks

Sheen? What is it?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’s a Japanese word, meaning ‘heart,’ but the transliteration is spelled ‘shin.’ If you have a lot of healthy roots around it, you can remove the central clay, just make sure the space gets filled with substrate. If there are no roots, it’s not really a shin. Having a good shin is a sign of health, at least in a conifer. Trees with flat root masses don’t have a shin.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gotta say never heard "sheen" referring to a tree trunk before, but then I don't get out much.:)
Not the trunk, the roots directly beneath the trunk. It’s a Japanese word used in Japanese bonsai. Think it is actually spelled shin, not totally sure.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not the trunk, the roots directly beneath the trunk. It’s a Japanese word used in Japanese bonsai. Think it is actually spelled shin, not totally sure.
Shin I have heard of...Sheen is an Irish surname...as is Charlie...:) I've not heard Shin applied to tree roots, though. I've run across it in "shin, gyo, so" the three concepts in Japanese design...not in specific reference to the area under the trunk of a tree though.

Anyway, dense "shin" (as RYAN puts it, confusing just about everyone ;) not on Tier 3), is usually dealt with using the "wedge" technique, take a pie slice shaped wedge out of one side of the Shin one year, do the same at another location in the following year. This can help regenerate the tight root mass without overly traumatizing the tree all at once.

Top Bottom