Repotting wrightia religiosa

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all! So I recently had to remove my wrightia religiosa (water jasmine) from its pot and do a major root prune. I tried my best to defoliate all the leaves to help with stress and I put it under the patio in shade. I did this on Tuesday and I’ve read I need to have it in shade until it shows new growth then I can move it back into full sun. Am I doing the Wright thing?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wouldn't defoliating the tree cause additional stress because now it has to regrow all those leaves? And now that it has no leaves to lose water from, it seems like you could put it in the sun to encourage more budding.

Hopefully someone else will chip in.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I repotted mine last summer, but did not defoliate. It did fine.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So mine has so many leaves that I honestly only took about 1/8 th of them off because then my son came and had other plans for me lol but the next day after I root pruned and reported it allllll the leaves turned brown and cruspy and have all fallen off now..

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
the next day after I root pruned and reported it allllll the leaves turned brown and cruspy and have all fallen off now..
That doesn't sound good.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I scratched the bark and it’sgreen underneath and the roots have white tips so I think it’s still alive? But has no leaves. Idk what to do with it, sun? No sun? Partial sun?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The leaves drop is due to repotting stressed. If you scratch the bark and see the white fluid then the still alive and it should leaf out again

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gotta have sun to replace the leaves.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it’s in the sun and the under bark is still green, some branches are dry and breaking off..how long until it starts to leaf out again?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you see the white sap when scratch the bark?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are no guarantees, only best practices from experience. Think of this as asking the tow truck driver for advice on a better route across the lake.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t see white sap and honestly I’ve never seen white sap on mine, but I scratch the bark and it has green around the scratched part and the tree underneath is white and wet, some of the branches are still flexible but it’s been almost 2 weeks and there’s no new buds..

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m hoping if I keep it in morning sun and keep it nice and moist it’ll bounce back,, but for now it’s not looking too good,

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Be patient. Mine lost most all of it's leaves last winter, but it has rebounded nicely and growing vigorously.

Top Bottom