Repotting

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
How many have you done this season so far?
Irene

40 and still going strong!

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's say I already went through 53 gallons of substrate mix this spring and I still have a few trees to lift up and/or repot.

Back to the shed to prepare more substrate mix

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
None. Does that count? I'm skipping a year, nothing really in need of potting or repotting. So.... I'm done?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Irene ,,
I'd like to say 1,, but I'd be lying. I'd like to get ahead of this season. But that's not going to happen. It seems that winter is hanging onto it last life here in the mid-west. And I cant wait to get going. (my wife can't wiat for me to get going either) LOL!
So when it does happen, I'm sure it will. I'll have about 40 or so to re-pot. I hope the season is better for you all.
Sincerely,
KJ

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Irene ,,
I'd like to say 1,, but I'd be lying. I'd like to get ahead of this season. But that's not going to happen. It seems that winter is hanging onto it last life here in the mid-west. And I cant wait to get going. (my wife can't wiat for me to get going either) LOL!
So when it does happen, I'm sure it will. I'll have about 40 or so to re-pot. I hope the season is better for you all.
Sincerely,
KJ

A friend from out of state came out to give me a hand, something I will be forever grateful. We managed to get about thirty done before the weather turned bad and my wrist gave out. Still have much more to get done than have been completed. I am thankful also that I have discovered that my Scots and Mugos can all wait till summer which takes a bit of pressure off the process but it does mean I will be doing this all year.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spent most of last night trying to repot a young parviflora 'negishi'... 3 hours only to manage 1" into the rootball without breaking any root. Deciduous are way easier ;)

Glider

Yamadori
Reaction score
Fifteen and I'm all done for this year. I'm trying to set up a 'staggered' regime by potting one or two a year early each year (with just a moderate root prune), so I can spread it out and eventually, I'll just have a few to repot each year rather than having to repot all of them at the same time every three years or so.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Yes--and its below freezing this AM. I don't see much more repotting until after the Holiday.
Greenhouses.....Heated Greenhouses.....Even here in Texas I keep it up and ready at all times...
I hate going a day without doing Bonsai..
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
None yet!:p

Too busy makin' pots!

Every time I pass by one on my bench I say to them, 'Yes dear, just be patient'.

LOL:rolleyes:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I haven't done any... yet. But that's because our back yard is torn up with a pool remodel. I'll be back to my trees in a week or so...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Greenhouses.....Heated Greenhouses.....Even here in Texas I keep it up and ready at all times...
I hate going a day without doing Bonsai..
Irene

Pines, cold loving pines, balck pines, mugo pines, scots pines, red pines, white pines....we grow them all and they all hate greenhouses ;) Larches, cedars, junipers.....

Will

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Pines, cold loving pines, balck pines, mugo pines, scots pines, red pines, white pines....we grow them all and they all hate greenhouses ;) Larches, cedars, junipers.....

Will
LOL Dammit Will!
Bougies,Ficus, Brasillion Raintree, Black Olive,and humans love the warmth of the Greenhouse where we can spend hours with just our trees!
Irene

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
LOL Dammit Will!
Bougies,Ficus, Brasillion Raintree, Black Olive,and humans love the warmth of the Greenhouse where we can spend hours with just our trees!
Irene

I fault no one who grows tropicals but it is an entierly different world from the temperate trees where timing is everything and the windows are small. The point being that there is in the temperate world of bonsai a time when you have to start this work and you have to continue until it is done or until the window for doing so is exhausted. That is what we face here in Michigan. I was fortunate to get as much done a week ago as I did because now, it looks like I am going to lose a week because of inclement weather.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL Dammit Will!
Irene

Maybe next winter, my family, myself, and a couple figs can vacation in your greenhouse for about, well let's see....5 months? ;)

Will

Ed_Merc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello,
New here. I've been busy with my trees, but not as busy as I'd like. So far I've re-potted about a dozen trees and planted one in the ground to grow out. There are still a couple more that could use some leg room.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Will

Balck pines???? Got your own brand or what? ;) sorry couldn't resist

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Maybe next winter, my family, myself, and a couple figs can vacation in your greenhouse for about, well let's see....5 months? ;)
Will

Hmmmm Comfort level may be different depending on which State we are in at the time....
Texas (heated greenhouse with tropicals) or Oklahoma (Unheated greenhouse no tropicals)
But either one you are more than welcome to camp out in ;) I will even be nice enough to loan a few cats to make sure no snakes disturb your sleep. :D
Irene

Top Bottom