Repurposed Headboard

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. The stand has a good look to it for a tree and an accent!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hand rub the oil. Better than wax in my experience.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks! I used a Jacobean stain and 8 coats of teak oil. Might need a good coat of wax to bring out the woodgrain.
8 coats?? I don't know too much about wood working but that sounds.. like a lot, lol. I was hesitant clicking on this thread but those turned out awesome

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
8 coats??
Teak oil is very thin. If you hand rub apply, you can recoat in as little as 15 min. So, it wasn't like it took me a week!
Oil finishes, such as linseed oil., tung oil, nuts oils (Don't go there!!!) give a richer, deeper finish. Just not the durability. Gotta recoat every year or so.
Just takes more elbow grease.
This one might get a 50/50 spar varnish and mineral spirits. The mineral spirits gives you penetration (Don't make me remind you), spar varnish, protection.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Teak oil is very thin. If you hand rub apply, you can recoat in as little as 15 min. So, it wasn't like it took me a week!
Oil finishes, such as linseed oil., tung oil, nuts oils (Don't go there!!!) give a richer, deeper finish. Just not the durability. Gotta recoat every year or so.
Just takes more elbow grease.
This one might get a 50/50 spar varnish and mineral spirits. The mineral spirits gives you penetration (Don't make me remind you), spar varnish, protection.
Okay I see, 15 minutes between isn't bad at all. Surprised it took that many though. Ahhh but you set the jokes up so well, too bad haha! I've used linseed and some minerals before, but the linseed is a very heavy, deep finish that I can see being unappealing for some projects.

Keep at it my dude!

Top Bottom