Repurposing a dead bonsai!

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I accidentally killed this Chinese Elm. Don’t ask how. Has anybody tried repurposing a dead bonsai as an indoor decor? I was thinking to maybe spray paint it black or white and put it on the entryway table.

Attachments

• IMG_9080.jpeg
    IMG_9080.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 85

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tanuki?

But it could be a cool idea to paint it, and to hang your keys on :p

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dead trees with great silhouettes are occasionally stripped of the bark and finished - usually with lime sulfur - and displayed in noncompetitive exhibitions.
So why not?

I would strip the bark off and use an actual wood finish or stain to highlight the wood grain.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t what the process involved was or what it cost, but I’ve seen instances where a dead bonsai was gold plated. It looked really cool.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dead trees with great silhouettes are occasionally stripped of the bark and finished - usually with lime sulfur - and displayed in noncompetitive exhibitions.
So why not?

I would strip the bark off and use an actual wood finish or stain to highlight the wood grain.
What type of finish would you use? Polyurethane?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What type of finish would you use? Polyurethane?
Not necessarily a clear coat, but something like tung oil or linseed oil. Something to highlight the grain.
I'm barely starting in the arena of woodworking, so I stick with the basics for now.

It could make a great place to hang jewelry. If not for yourself, then a great gift for a loved one.
I think I know what I'm doing for a Christmas present for someone this year.
Thanks!

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regardless to what finish you chose to use, the wood needs to be completely dry before you apply it.
On the other hand, taking the bark off is much easier while the wood is still fresh.
Just my two cents...

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Regardless to what finish you chose to use, the wood needs to be completely dry before you apply it.
On the other hand, taking the bark off is much easier while the wood is still fresh.
Just my two cents...
That's actually a good point.
Strip the bark now, then set the tree in the sunniest driest place you have until at least winter.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Strip the bark now, then set the tree in the sunniest driest place you have until at least winter.
Alternately, one possibility is to leave the tree as is, with the bark on and simply keep it like you would keep a dried flower arrangement.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Alternately, one possibility is to leave the tree as is, with the bark on and simply keep it like you would keep a dried flower arrangement.
Yes, I would still suggest treating it with a good coat of some sort of sealer to hold everything together.
This would be where to use a polyurethane.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you’re going to keep the tree inside and away from moisture you could bake it in a home oven.
Woody material can be sterilized and hardened/preserved this way. It works great on bug filled pine cones destined for a collection. The heavenly smell will fill your home.
170-200 degrees farenheit. 30 minutes + depending on size.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
You could use it to hold few air plants though these might be slightly big for your tree.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree has been dead since last fall. Peeling the bark from the trunk is possible but the branches maybe too dry. I can try but that sounds like a lot of work with all these small branches.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I say just spaypaint it. Baking it beforehand is a good idea to dry it up fully and kill anything alive, like fingus... just in case...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You could burn/char the tree as a barren lone survivor of a fire. After the burn treatment I’d spray it with a dull clear coat. In a subdued gray black pot it would be striking. Add a few burn-marked rocks along with some burned branch sections on the ground level. Think of the composition as black and subtle grimy brown colors. Create an interesting composition.

You might not have to actually burn the tree. You could strip bark sections off and utilize some rattle can spray paints carefully applied.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking something like this

Attachments

• IMG_9088.jpeg
    IMG_9088.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 44

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is definitely not a real tree, but the concept is fun. If you want yours flat similar to that you'll have to be very careful about what branches you trim off to do it.

You could try boiling your tree in water to soften the wood, then wiring it flat, or gently pressing it between two boards or something, and let it dry like that. A heavy coat of hard drying acrylic might help hold everything in place.

This is all me brainstorming, though. I've certainly never tried it, and haven't run into anything similar.

Top Bottom