Reputation of Bonsai Mirai

LumiDude

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2b
I was recently on the Mirai website to get some ideas and happened to check out their furniture. Scrolling through, two items caught my attention. They are listed as being antique japanese tansu.
They immediately caught my attention because I worked in the tea industry for 8 or so years and I recognized them as being cha tansu. They are listed at over $2000 and being I know that Mirai sell their items for a premium the price didn't raise any flags.
Being who I am I decided to look up other cha tansu online so I could get ideas to build one for myself. Then the red flags went up. I fould a site with multiple cha tansu, with one that is practically identical to the one on Mirai. Being an antique dealer (although not specializing in items from asia) the secondary site's listings seemed to be more legitimate.
So there are three options with only two being plausible IMHO. Either there was some Japanese carpenter of old that made two tansu that match each other nearly exactly until you look at the finer details. Or this trader knocked off the one for sale on Mirai. Or Mirai had the cha tansu copied and is selling modern reproductions for antique prices.
I feel comfortable buying and selling antique furniture but I am lacking when it comes to Japanese tansu. What you guys think?
Here are the pics in order of Mirai then other merchant.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-000230_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-000230_Samsung Internet.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot_20200208-000200_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-000200_Samsung Internet.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 271

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Furniture is expensive....especially when attributed to certain uses. There are many people in the bonsai world that wouldn’t even blink at $2000 if it fits their specifics. And, $2000 may be a fair price. Superior condition Japanese furniture is highly sought after by key people, collectors and businesses. I’d envision there are more costly Japanese Tansu available also.

It's like your first venture into bonsai pots.....looking.....wondering just how a small bonsai pot could cost $300...$500...$700....and more. A lot of time and work goes into a high quality named pot with a refined finish and flawless edges. Same with furniture.

And, yes, Mira has a markup I’m sure.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Either way, why should it matter? Antiques are being overpriced a lot nowadays thanks to most TV channels having antique/pawn shows, and the people paying the price for it. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

I see itoigawa trees being offered for over 1.000 euros. I don't understand the people paying that sum for a slightly above average tree with zero styling. So I buy itoigawa cuttings, bend the heck out of them and hope to sell them for 999 euros in five to ten years.
Does that make me less reputable?

I've restored many European antique cabinets, some being over 400 years old. There's very little originality when it comes to European carpentry, especially back in the time of guilds. I don't see why Japanese wouldn't be any different. They too pass on techniques and styles from master to student.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Possibly the other seller obtained some things from less than reputable sources. Black market;). Or even repros.

Palltergeist

Seedling
Reaction score
So there are three options with only two being plausible IMHO. Either there was some Japanese carpenter of old that made two tansu that match each other nearly exactly until you look at the finer details. Or this trader knocked off the one for sale on Mirai. Or Mirai had the cha tansu copied and is selling modern reproductions for antique prices.

who said that these are supposed to be one-of-a-kind? I can produce for you an infinite list of different categories of 'antique' where items are NOT one of a kind. a good example are persian rugs. different regions and 'houses' are known for certain patterns and colors. it's not at all controversial and does not devalue the product if there happen to be many identical very similar rugs from the same craftsman, house, or region.

maybe you should be sleeping at 12:50am

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just ask myself...why would one go to the trouble to try and find fault, to discredit a person?

You show two pieces of furniture. The one at Bonsai Mirai to my naked eye looks to be far better quality. By just the stain used alone. So what if one admired the ones work and even mimicked the lines of that piece. I'm no antique dealer. But to my naked eye. The finish alone sets off the two. It's like the real deal and a fake. It's done all the time.

Still feels like you tried to put in a lot of footwork to discredit someone. Which to my minds eye...I wonder why anyone would try so hard. 🤔

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They wouldn't make things up at Mirai would they?
Or just invent things out of thin air?
Elongating species?
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my amateur observation of Japanese antiques, I have noticed very distinct styles (perhaps differences in periods). There are pieces with very decorative/ornate pulls, handles and hinges, reminiscent of samurai armor. Then there are others with a more minimalistic style with unobtrusive/hidden pulls, handles and hinges.

All of that to say, the hinges on the second piece feel off to me. Not that it can't be perfectly legitimate, but the Mirai piece seems more legitimate, aesthetically.

LumiDude

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2b
Thanks Stan Kengai. I don't know much about Japanese furniture other than what the internet tells me. And right now right now me and the internet(wikipedia) have trust issues....

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a classic Tansu design. No reason one has to be fake. They are not identical.

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
I feel I should set the record straight. I have made several purchases from Mirai and am quite pleased with them.

If you have made several purchases at Mirai and they were all satisfactory, why do you need other people to talk to you about Mirai's reputation?

Your post is strange, as if it had a hidden intention.

LumiDude

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2b
I do not want to drag them through the mud. I just thought their stuff looks nice and wanted to make sure before I spend a large amount of money there again that won't be kicking myself 10 years from now for not doing the research.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not gonna say it felt like it was a publicity stunt but it felt like it was a publicity stunt.

But not out of MN. Or...
You're the same fellers keeping your trees outdoors in the cold like real gangsters do say Mirai and you're up to something!

The hinges look off to me too, or on, and they should be off!

I wouldn't put anything passed anyone.

People are capable of anything, including getting duped and accidentally passing it on, regardless of reputation.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a publicity stunt. Yeah all my trees are somewhere under that snow pile.

Do you have any rodent issues under there?
Knock on beaver wood.

I meant also to say, that I think your post was professional and not accusatory at all.

Sorce

Top Bottom