Requesting Information on media (soil) miles used of presentation (no critics please)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Presently writing a bonsai media presentation. Thus I’m requesting some ground truth information on the main media mixes folks actually use. This data will be aggregated by geo area if enough comments come in. This data will lend some reality to the presentation.

No names will be mentioned, but my gratitude to all who post. Also, this is not an appropriate place to conduct a Soil Wars discussion!

Here’s what I’m requesting and a couple examples.

Please list only for trees in bonsai pots, or state otherwise. Use abbreviations as needed once defined. Drain layer data not needed.

Data needed: Type trees => Media mix => % components. => particle size

Example
(5 listed you don’t need that many)

1. Most conifers Akadama: Pumice:Lava (APL) 1:1:1 + 5% charcoal/bio char (char) 1/8- 1/4 depending on pot/tree size/health (dependent)

2. Water loving Conifers. APL. Up to 3:1:1 + char. 1/8-1/4 dependent

3. Deciduous. APL. 2:1:1+ char. Maples only = AP 1:1 & char 1/8 - 3/16. dependent

4. Azaleas Kanuma: Pumice. 90:10. 1/8 & char

Thanks to all contributors in advance!

cheers
DSD sends

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just to clarify - if we use the mixes on your list, do you want us to "vote" or confirm that we use them? Or are you looking for different / unique mixes?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for asking Greg.

I’m merely looking to gather information about the different mixes folks use.

No votes… No judgements. Just a request for folks to post their main media mixes so I can merely show participants the variety of medias used….

… And if time… to let folks compare these components to key attributes (water holding, pH, CEC etc) so in the end they get a feel for different components used in Bonsai mixes.

If you use the same as the examples, all one needs to do is state this. This will hopefully give me a feel for which mixes are most used.

Thanks again.
DSD sends

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Conifers - 1:1:1 to 3:1:1 depending on species.

Deciduous - 100% akadama or 1:1 akadama and pumice, depending on species

Tropicals - 100% akadama

Generally, smaller size trees 1/16 to 1/8 inch, larger trees I take out the 1/16 and go 1/8 to 1/4

Nice project!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So far no trees in pots, but I use inorganic mixes on all my grow bags and development containers.

Currently, I use Bonsai Jack products except for pumice which I bought from another source. All particles are between 1/8" - 3/8" with the majority around 1/4". Currently I don't have shohin sized trees, if I ever do one I think I will sift the soil to 1/8" and smaller. I will replace Monto Clay with Akadama once the trees move into bonsai pots and move deciduous, tropicals and the BC to 80/20 akadama, kyriu

Conifers 1:1:1 Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, Pumice

Tropicals 2:1:1 Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, Pumice

Deciduous Conifer (BC) 1:1 Monto Clay, Bonsai Block - I guess this one doesn't count too much as they are flooded with water year-round

Deciduous 2:2:1 Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, pumice

Azaleas 80/20 Kanuma, pumice

PIc of the mix for deciduous to show the size of Bonsai Jack Monto Clay (surface properly sized for bonsai), I bought a bag of turface a long time ago and end up using it on my yard... too small. Most particles were close to the 1/8 and flat, not chunkier like Monto Clay.

1677027684107.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you all for your quick replies, one sent me down the a research rabbit hole looking for technical information on Monto Clay and Bonsai block 😉.

Hoping others will be inclined to follow your lead.
cheers
DSD sends

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What I use:
Conifers- APL 1:1:1, 3/16th to 3/8th

Tropicals- APL 2:1:1, 3/16th to 3/8th

Deciduous- APL 2.5:1:1, 3/16th to 3/8th

Broadleaf evergreens- APL 1:1:1 or 2:1:1, 3/16th to 3/8th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are the ratios my mentor uses (zone10a/9b):
Californias/Sierra Junipers: APL 2:1:3, he doesn't sift so sizes can range from 1/8th to 1/3rd

All other conifers (foeminas/JBPs/etc)- APL 1.5:1:3, 1/8th to 1/3rd

Tropicals- APL 1.5:1:3, 1/8th to 1/3rd

Deciduous- APL 2:1:1, 1/8th to 1/3rd

Broadleaf evergreens- APL 1.5:1:3, 1/8th to 1/3rd

Azaleas- Kanuma/Pumice 95:5, 1/4th to 3/8th

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you all for your quick replies, one sent me down the a research rabbit hole looking for technical information on Monto Clay and Bonsai block 😉.

Hoping others will be inclined to follow your lead.
cheers
DSD sends
I guess next time I can add them here, I did the research when I decided to start using them. Thankfully he have all the information available on his website.

He states that Bonsai Block is very similar to black lava, but I think it holds a little more water, and I like the rounder, less sharp profile. Very similar to pumice. If you would like a sample let me know, he sales them but the quantity is small. If you have ability to create shipping labels for flat rate boxes I can send you about a qt of each or 1/2 of each that can fit in a small flat rate box.

Geeky Stuff

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
MIX AKADAMA 30% / PUMICE 30% / LAVA 30% / ZEOLITE 10% - for young deciduous trees
MIX AKADAMA 60% / LAVA 40% - for older deciduous trees
MIX AKADAMA 50% / LAVA 50% - for needle trees
KANUMA 100% - for azaleas

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
1. Most pines and junipers - Vulkastrat (1:1:1 lava rock, zeolite, pumice) 3-5mm with 2-5% pine bark and 2-5% enriched charcoal. Or pumice 2-5mm with 10% pine bark.

2. Deciduous. Akadama and kiryu 30/50 and 20% bark.

3. Cuttings and seedlings: 1:1 coco coir and perlite (3mm)

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Funny enough, I was recently catching up on the Bonsai Wire podcast listening to the spring repotting episode from a while back and Jonas talks about how he has probably 20 different mixes he uses. I tend to be in that boat as well, but purely out of a “use what you got that’ll work” approach and just sheer cost of the nicer soil amendments.

None of my trees are remotely close to a refined point, so I’m really looking to just grow as much and as quickly as possible, while still encouraging strong and healthy root growth. My go to pre-mix is either Bonsai Jack organic or inorganic mix, depending on the tree. I know organics can be frowned upon in this hobby, but they really help if you’re in a hotter, drier climate, and still learning the best watering techniques. I do use a 1:1:1 APL on junipers and pines if I don’t have any of the inorganic mix on hand. I have some tropicals growing out in 1:1 pine bark/lava. I also have some of the more water loving conifers in a 60/40 pumice/akadama mix. It really kind of depends on what I have on hand, the tree, and what it’s getting put into.

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The seven core members of our small and aging local bonsai club all use the same substrate:
for all trees: 50/50 pine bark and turface between 1/8" and 1/4".

Species: Chinese elm, Japanese maple, trident maple, all junipers, Scots pine, mugo pine, all boxwood, all thuja, all azaleas, all tropicals, bald cypress, all honey suckle.

I'm personally tinkering with a different mixture, but I have very few trees in actual bonsai pots.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be honest I am a simple person and typically all goes in the same stuff.
I might add a handfull of extra organics on very thirsty, or go pure pumice on the water haters..

1:1:1 bark / Clay-based / vulcanics

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Due to time/money/space constraints I pretty much put everything in the same mix.

Approximately 85% Pumice, 15% fir bark. I sift out fines but mix is approx. 1/4"-3/8". Not a huge collection but I primarily have pines, Oak (cork and coastal live oak), junipers, and a few miscellaneous trees (ficus, rosemary, olive, bougainvillea).

I had some APL mix from a local nursery but I found that all of the Akadama broke down giving me a very dense mixture. Not sure if it was softer Akadama but I figured I'd simplify and just go to the 2 part mix.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My main mix is similar to LuZiKui. 80% pumice, 20% akadama or organics. My local is very moist, mostly stays lows in 40's F to highs 70 F all year. Mostly oaks (coast live oak, valley oak, cork oak), elms, boxwood, pyracantha.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use Bonsai Jack 25% of Lava, Pumice, Bonsai Block, Monto Clay. I use it for everything. I don't adjust the percentages for different trees. I like the same substrate throughout my collection because it helps with my watering.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice going follks! Now we are starting to get somewhere!

Please keep the cards & letters coming 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom