Rescue-dori

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a landscape J.Maple seedling resue-dori.......
Photo #1 - 2008 - a rescued maple seedling about 3-5 years old from a landscape demo,
#2 - a limestone rock.
Then now........after a little restyle

Attachments

• January 2008 086.jpg
    January 2008 086.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 383
  • J. Maple over rock Jan 2010 120.jpg
    J. Maple over rock Jan 2010 120.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Today

After a few years growing together.......a little tweaking..... a local native sedum and moss.........ready for this years growth.
Cheers Graham

Attachments

• Xmas2012 004.jpg
    Xmas2012 004.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 479
  • Xmas2012 007.jpg
    Xmas2012 007.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 377
  • Xmas2012 008.jpg
    Xmas2012 008.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 362

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice taper, good movement, pleasing composition. I like it, and saving it from the landfill is icing on the cake. Well done.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Awesome progress on this tree. Have you considered burying it a little deeper to promote more root growth around the base of the rock? Otherwise, just the tree sitting "next" to the rock is still a nice image. It doesn't look forced or like an amateur root/rock attachment -- if that makes sense. I dig it ;-p

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Whats the height on it? I love the thinner feminine looking maples. Thumbs up!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I normally do not like rock with trees in the composition but this one admittedly is one of the few that (to me) came out nice. Good job!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the nice comments;
It's about 20" tall and in regards to more roots around the rock - the rock is burried and goes to the bottom of the pot and some of the roots are arranged around it and onto a slim ledge and then through a small opening (this can been seen in the rock picture, at the front on the left......... the tree base is on the right side of the rock in that picture). Hopefully I'll be able to expose more of the roots over time with each repotting.
Cheers
Graham

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring Update

Caught this spring update photo as the sun was going down..... Maybe I'll feed it well and let it grow wild and then try Walter's shear method.:cool:
Cheers GrahamMay2013 022 (600x800).jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tree has developed nicely Graham! I just wish the roots would have enveloped the rock a bit more. Are they joined? Honestly I prefer this tree by itself. Just my 2 here.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Mach5......Some of the roots do wrap the rock along a narrow ledge and dip into a hole/cavity....(at this time the bottom of the rock is on the bottom of the pot) in the coming years at repotting time (maybe 2015) I'll raise the stone and expose more of these roots....but right now I'm trying to fatten them up :rolleyes:

Many thanks Beng.

sherwoodschwartz

Yamadori
Reaction score
love the rock. really nice work.

i am, apparently, one of the only people around who really loves rocks with trees.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fall Update

Hi Folks,
Here it is after some fall work, before with leaves, before stripped of leaves and front/back after wiring.
JapMapWSfall2013-before#1.jpgJapMapWSfall2013-before#2.jpgJapMapWSfall2013-afterF#2.jpgJapMapWSfall2013-afterBack#1.jpg
Cheers
Graham

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
MILK ANYONE,
Just an update on this Japanese Maple and limestone rock combination. (I couldn't help myself when I found this old milk container hiding in the back of the property we are renting).
The image did have a more rounded appearance until the local buck (coastal black tail) decided to use a modified Walter Palls /shear pruning-trimming method on the tree lol.
Cheers Graham

Attachments

• JapMaple-Stone#1.jpg
    JapMaple-Stone#1.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 232

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
MILK ANYONE, Just an update on this Japanese Maple and limestone rock combination. (I couldn't help myself when I found this old milk container hiding in the back of the property we are renting).
The image did have a more rounded appearance until the local buck (coastal black tail) decided to use a modified Walter Palls /shear pruning-trimming method on the tree lol.
Cheers Graham

Thank you for the update! Looking good as well. Funny you mentioned a "deer trim" as we had some come through here a few weeks ago and "top" a lot of whips that seem to grow everywhere here. Happy to see that they did not seem to hurt yours much and all is well.

Grimmy

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi folks,
A fall colour update.........after the summer trim by the deer I did defoliate it by about 50 % (the deer took at least 25%) and the new flush of leaves has a more intense colour this time of year compared to previous years. 2016 plans call for a repot - raising the stone and exposing some of the buried roots (the ones I put into the hole in the stone ledge) that hopefully have some visual appeal.......thanks for looking.
Cheers Graham

Attachments

• Oct27-2015.jpg
    Oct27-2015.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 187
Top Bottom