Rescue Indian Hawthorne ?

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi all, I just grabbed this from the sidewalk (left for garbage collection) of a nearby neighbor. The tree was likely left Today, but I am not sure when it was removed. I cut the branches but left all the root that was available and soaked it in water for about an hour. I think it is an Indian Hawthorne (not sure) as these are prevalent around and the leaves. The leaves had not started getting crunchy or wilting. Here is a picture with a glove for reference, the trunk must be around 2".

My question:
- It being likely an Indian Hawthorne, and given the amount of roots and condition, is this a futile exercise to safe ?
- If above is ok, any suggestions for best change ?

Thanks.

File_000 (5).jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not know the species.

What I do when I have something that has been laying around is re-cut all the existing cut roots. This way you "open up the cambium". I tell myself this helps in new roots. 🤷‍♀️

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have some experience with common Hawthorne, but none relevant to a drop-kicked curb tree.

What are you doing for aftercare post the soak?

I'd probably get it into a large tub of pumice and tent the top with plastic to keep the environment humid. Some sun, mostly shade for awhile.

Doesn't look futile - just don't fall in love with it yet.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So lets see how it goes with this one. After soaking (it ended up soaking for 4 hours or so), I put it in a 1:1 perlite to spagnum peat moss (only thing I had available) and gave it a good watering, it is in a shaded place receiving indirect sunlight for now. Let's see how it does. I've killed indian hawthornes in the past, so saving this one would be a redemption for me :).

Attachments

• File_000 (6).jpeg
    File_000 (6).jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 12

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You have a loose soil media in a grow bag... I'd recommend moving this one to its final spot in your yard and not moving it for at least a year until it establishes itself. These grow bags can be rough on new roots if it is routinely moved around.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wait to see what grows. Nice potential gnarly trunk full of battle-with-nature scars.

Top Bottom