Rescue mission; possible fatality

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
So what was meant to be a really good opportunity for a nice tree larger than anything I currently have turned into a bit of a nightmare with various problems along the way.

I had a client a few months back I did some work for, and she had a fairly chunky JM in her border which had been there years. I'm not sure of the cultivar but it looks like Katsura potentially? She had been just shearing the top every year and it had some big branches taken off at some point in the past, she didn't really like it because it wanted to get far bigger than she would allow it to. I said I would be happy to remove it for her, and asked her to give me a call to come back just before it looked like the leaves started to open.

I've been keeping an eye on my JMs, most are now in leaf or are just unfolding but I do have 3 or 4 which are only just starting to swell up, so I've been awaiting the call eagerly. Today she phoned and said she had forgotten to call last week and it was now in full leaf, but she wants the space now so she can plant something else there this spring/summer - the JM HAS to go asap and unfortunately autumn collection wasn't an option.

I immediately wasn't sure of it's chances because of how leafed out it is, but unsure of what my options were I just had to go about it as I would usually collect something, all in, death or glory!
20180417_170236.jpg

I dug it out but most of the roots were real thick and I wasn't really able to chase them far enough to try and find the finer roots at the end. I got a decent root ball and bagged it up to take home. I cleaned off as much of the soil as I could, unfortunately there wasn't all that much in the way of fine roots, and what there was is mostly underneath a massive knuckly solid wooden ball clump thing. I wasn't really sure how to proceed so I just cut off all the really thick roots and took off any medium sized ones that didn't have fine feeders coming off them.
I scraped some bark off in a circle nearer the top where I'd like roots to grow in the hope that if it does somehow survive it might root out from there. In a couple of years I can then just take the whole bottom mess off if it makes it that far.
Unfortunately I then hit another problem... I had way less soil in my shed than I thought I did! I popped the tree in a bucket and popped over to Tesco to get some sanicat or their own brand low-dust stuff. They only had 1 bag on the shelf and my fears that it wouldn't be enough for the box I'd made up were correct. I mixed up the soil I had with the kitty litter, and had to throw in a bit of regular compost as well to bulk it out. By this time it was dark and I was losing hope.

20180417_192411.jpg
20180417_192433.jpg
20180417_213224.jpg

Sooooo, assuming this isn't going to pull through since it's powered all it's energy into the top growth which I cut off, and then removed probably 90% of the roots, and then stuck it in less than idea soil, my question is was there anything I should have done differently in collecting this material? Obviously having the correct soil would be a good start but I was sure I had more in the bag!
I'm going to nurse this thing and feed it well, if it by some miracle survives it'll be the biggest material I currently have - I would like to have cut the trunks down the the next node down but figured I might as well leave at least 6 leaves on there for it to work with :confused: I will post another picture with scale when it's daylight.
Is there anything else I can do to improve it's chances or is it now simply in the hands of the Gods?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cattwooduk
What about a humidity tent? I know there isn't much foliage left but I feel like that would take a lot of stress off those little leaves and possibly help it recover. That and really watch the watering.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've done all you can do, and it looks like you took all the right steps. Just keep it watered and in the shade. The small leaves you left may give you an idea of how well the trunk is maintaining itself by not wilting; or they may die off. Regardless, look for new buds in about two weeks.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
@Cattwooduk
What about a humidity tent? I know there isn't much foliage left but I feel like that would take a lot of stress off those little leaves and possibly help it recover. That and really watch the watering.

Yeah I considered covering it but like you say there really isn't much foliage to keep humid. I wasn't sure if keeping the humidity up would be bad for the big cuts even though they're sealed?

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I might have left more roots and a bit more foliage... but I love your not holding back with the work. I wouldn’t feed or feed very sparingly until new leaves are pushing. Keep us updated.
There really wasn't much more roots that seemed worth saving - What I cut off was almost entirely thick roots which I figured would either not be feeding the tree much or end up growing fine feeder roots where o really don't want them at the moment. I had hoped to follow the big roots when lifting it and just curling them in the tub to keep the fine end roots. Unfortunately the roots all went straight underneath other plants so I couldn't find out what was there.

In order to save a little more foliage I would be had to leave quite a lot more of the trunk/branches. Could well have helped it's recovery thinking about it but I was just thinking about how much root I managed to save and trying to keep the top/bottom balanced.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cattwooduk
It will keep it humid regardless of the amount of foliage, I just think it would help with transpiration loss. I feel like if those leaves die, your chances of it living are really low. Good luck!

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There really wasn't much more roots that seemed worth saving - What I cut off was almost entirely thick roots which I figured would either not be feeding the tree much or end up growing fine feeder roots where o really don't want them at the moment. I had hoped to follow the big roots when lifting it and just curling them in the tub to keep the fine end roots. Unfortunately the roots all went straight underneath other plants so I couldn't find out what was there.

In order to save a little more foliage I would be had to leave quite a lot more of the trunk/branches. Could well have helped it's recovery thinking about it but I was just thinking about how much root I managed to save and trying to keep the top/bottom balanced.
In my experience with deciduous trees, it is not necessary to have fibrous roots and may actually be detrimental to recovery. Those finer roots you see in the photos above do not provide moisture to the tree; the new fat white roots that are going to sprout either from them or from the big chopped roots will perform that function. With the tree chopped top and bottom, and wanting to survive, it will produce new foliage and new feeder roots. Those finer roots along with the the big chopped roots will do this equally well. I've seen it countless times over 30 years. So don't fret over not having lots of fine roots.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I put the odd of this guy survived the insult at 90%. I see you still have quite a bit of roots there and the temperature isn't all that hot just yet.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would have gotten in there and done the same thing. I really enjoy collecting and that "hard work" that goes along with it. It just feels more satisfying to me to know when and where it came from. You did the best you could do. I will keep everything crossed that won't turn blue and fall off.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks all! I've been looking at it again in better daylight and having more time, and now wish I'd taken the thicker of the trunks down a few inches lower. I'm guessing making another chop 24 hours later is a bad idea and I should just leave it the hell alone now right?

20180418_174129.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all! I've been looking at it again in better daylight and having more time, and now wish I'd taken the thicker of the trunks down a few inches lower. I'm guessing making another chop 24 hours later is a bad idea and I should just leave it the hell alone now right?

View attachment 187699
I would just let it be for a couple of years. There is simply no reason to rechop the trunk. It's short enough. Collectors can make the mistake of trying to take main trunks too low on the first chop at collection time. Leaving more (but not ALOT more) will give you more buds, which will offer more options to begin growing out a new apex. This trunk is not too long...

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
That was my initial though yesterday when I first chopped it, try and save as much as practically useable. Just after sitting and looking at it for a while I got carried away with trying to get it set up for future work when actually I just need it to survive for starters!

Top Bottom