Rescued Crape Myrtle

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This Crape myrtle was cut up and being thrown out at work a couple weeks ago so I snagged it. Somewhat unsurprisingly it lived, but now I’m struggling with what direction to take it. Obviously any major decisions on the tree are far off from now, but it still stumps me every time I see it. I’m probably in a little over my head with this one to be honest. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 48006E4D-9025-45D0-A65F-4677CE67CD54.jpeg
    48006E4D-9025-45D0-A65F-4677CE67CD54.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 75

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't have an answer for you but I'm excited see what you decide. I have a scrap pile crepe myrtle as well. It hasn't been chopped that hard but I'm looking forward to spring and cutting it back to shape it.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine, I'd be deciding between keeping it as a clump / multi trunk, which is pretty natural for crepe myrtle, or a more traditional bonsai such as an upright, which would require removing the extra trunks, possibly leaving big scars and odd nebari. In other words, I'd stick to what it gives you - maybe let it grow out for a couple seasons, then pick a new leader on each of those trunks (ideally a leader that hides the scars from the chops).

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If it were mine, I'd be deciding between keeping it as a clump / multi trunk, which is pretty natural for crepe myrtle, or a more traditional bonsai such as an upright, which would require removing the extra trunks, possibly leaving big scars and odd nebari. In other words, I'd stick to what it gives you - maybe let it grow out for a couple seasons, then pick a new leader on each of those trunks (ideally a leader that hides the scars from the chops).
Yeah that’s roughly where I’m at with it. At present I like the idea of the grouped trunks as it look more natural. These trees grow like weeds here so I’ll be able to take it any direction really.

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
At work so I don’t have updated pics, but she’s still alive. Put out a bunch of new shoots recently, I’ve decided on mostly leaving it alone for at least a year or two.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At work so I don’t have updated pics, but she’s still alive. Put out a bunch of new shoots recently, I’ve decided on mostly leaving it alone for at least a year or two.
Truee that seemed like the best bet let 'er bush out, and as in recently -did it pop buds this year (?mine is still bare

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Truee that seemed like the best bet let 'er bush out, and as in recently -did it pop buds this year (?mine is still bare
Sure did. A handful in late fall, died off in the winter (we had a crazy freeze for zone 9b) and then pushed more when spring rolled in.

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Attachments

• 079581F3-7369-45C7-8845-37C0380FE038.jpeg
    079581F3-7369-45C7-8845-37C0380FE038.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 36
  • BAAE02F1-21BB-4F48-B000-60F783083C8D.jpeg
    BAAE02F1-21BB-4F48-B000-60F783083C8D.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I rescued one of pf the trash pile at wok too a few years ago and it’s now thriving. I’d Give it a couple of years of uninhibited growth and the choices may become more easily visible after learning along the way.

Top Bottom