Rescued JM Requiring ID and Pruning Input

Trempie4

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey All. I rescued this 4+ year pot bound JM tree from a relative a few weeks ago. It was straggly and hadn't been repotted nor watered by anything other than a dog or a cloud for those 4 years as well. No one knows exactly what it is other than a JM. I had to lop it off to where it is today to get it home in my urban vehicle.

I'm hopeful someone can identify it somewhat based on node length (short), new growth color, as well as mature bark pattern and color. I'll post some leaf photos when they emerge.

It was in 16" x 16" or so pot and completely root bound and criss-crossed on many of the major roots. It's nebari will forever be questionable at best. Nonetheless we're making lemonade out of this lemon.

I cut off 80% of the root chaos and am giving it a breather for now. I'm looking for and more than willing to follow some additional advice regarding which pruning cuts to make the best of what is there.

And if anyone can ID it at all that would be swell as well!
IMG_4675.jpgIMG_4692.jpgIMG_4683.jpgIMG_4688.jpgIMG_4689.jpgIMG_4690.jpgIMG_4685.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This trunk has potential for styling as a classic JM style with rising main branches. It can also be styled other ways I am sure.
The roots are uneven and frankly quite ugly but the trunk has enough character that it will be worth taking the time to fix that.

Unfortunately there are so many different JM cultivars and many are quite similar so it is rarely possible to be absolutely sure of a name. I also cannot see a graft which would tend to suggest it was grown from seed so would not be any of the named cultivars. All that means it is just a Japanese maple which is not to say it is inferior to named varieties. If it has good bonsai characteristics it can still be a great bonsai.

Given the past history I would let this tree recover from the transplant and build strength this summer then consider further development next season

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll weigh in here.

There was a new cultivar of the vine maple that was all the rage for potted maples 9ish+ years ago that this tree strongly resembles.

It’s called “Pacific Fire”. I just airlayered one last fall from our front yard Pacific Fire... these are fall color bark, it brightens up in the spring.
A6DAEF21-F67D-4E70-BBB7-0FB1A8B7B802.jpeg

likely too big internodes for a bonsai, but I’m giving it a go to see how it reduces.

I’ll send a photo of the big tree when the sun rises. I looks a bit different on the older trunk

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:
Top Bottom