132.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC07377.jpg
    DSC07377.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 163

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Sam, what happened to the trunk on this tree? Just part of the restyle?

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
hi duane. the trunk was hollowed to create interest and to divert the eye from the straight line. a friend suggested the canopy was too wide, so I pulled it in some. could probably stand more tightening. here's where I'm at right now.

Attachments

• DSC07400.jpg
    DSC07400.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 98

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
after more modification today. tomorrow a couple more branches will come off.

Attachments

• DSC07425.jpg
    DSC07425.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC07423.jpg
    DSC07423.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 83

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You should do something to that shari. It simply does not look natural and the color looks like a new, bleeding wound. I think I would extend it upwards to the lower jin; then I'd either leave it a natural color or use lime sulfur.

Otherwise, a very decent tree.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
all comments are appreciated. thanks for taking the time. after today's tweaks

Attachments

• DSC07431.jpg
    DSC07431.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 60

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
it has a slight windswept look now which i think is nice. are you coating those jins and shari with lime sulfur?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking good, the shari is improving as a hollow, and will look good as it ages. I like the lighter apex, and the jins at the top; particularly the movement you wired into the one coming directly at the viewer. Over time I suspect you'll reduce the total number, or allow some foliage to grow into the spaces.

BUT...that bottom branch absolutely HAS to go...now! :D

Nice work...looking forward to seeing this one after it has a year to grow into it's new style!

Attachments

• DSC07431.jpg
    DSC07431.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 48

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
it has a slight windswept look now which i think is nice. are you coating those jins and shari with lime sulfur?

No need to coat them right now. He won't have to do that until next summer. They need to dry out and crackle a little first.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Heres another vote for loosing the lower branch. Lets see ... that makes two of us. Not very imposing but I really like Brians virt without that branch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ahhhh grasshopper.... The only reason that pad looks not so great at the moment is that is has not been styled to be it's own "crown". As a flat pad it's a distraction... as a small independant crown... it is so much better - and compliments the image and does it's critical work of breaking up the trunk.

Also the jin is busy and going in the wrong direction for the energy of the tree.... Turn the wood... or thin it out and shorten it on the wind facing side.

A crumby virt is attached.

;)

V

Attachments

• DSC07431_edit.jpg
    DSC07431_edit.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 47

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
ahhhh grasshopper.... The only reason that pad looks not so great at the moment is that is has not been styled to be it's own "crown". As a flat pad it's a distraction... as a small independant crown... it is so much better - and compliments the image and does it's critical work of breaking up the trunk.

Also the jin is busy and going in the wrong direction for the energy of the tree.... Turn the wood... or thin it out and shorten it on the wind facing side.

A crumby virt is attached.

;)

V

Nope...still needs to go...but I like the crown you put on it:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nope...still needs to go...but I like the crown you put on it:D

Think about the long game brother.... not the short game. :D

Take it off... you can't put it back without a lot of work and grafting.

Taking off the banch religates it to bunjin... frankly, it would be a mediocre bunjin at best. Some time and the selective lengthening and arranging of that shari... and a gnarly ramified crown on that first branch and it'll be lovely...

But thank you for the compliment... :D

V

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hope he has a short week......
anymore "days" and all the green will be history.....

....it looked best on the 24th.....

Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I totally agree, Al. The 9/24 re-style looks the best. If you keep going at this rate you will be left with nothing. Best to keep more foliage, seeing as its really hard to put it back on a juniper...

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I've noticed that the low branch in question is actually coming from behind the tree. I think it should come off. This is more of a slanting/reverse apex style than windswept or bunjin (real Japanese). When appreciating junipers I think that the trunk should be the first thing accentuated, the foiage simply does this and nothing more. The trunk has plenty of subtle movement, so I'm not so sure that the big holllow in the middle of the trunk wasn't a bit over styling. Visually it doesn't make sense. I think you need more trees to work on, and give this one a rest. I agree with Al about Sept. 24th. It's now becoming forced instead of the natural unforced look it had before. Just my two cents, but I wouldn't do anything to it for a year and let it fill in a little.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
lots of opinions ! thanks for the inputs everyone

sam

Top Bottom