Restyled JPB

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I spent last weekend working w/ Bjorn at his garden as part of his Conifer Class. I worked on several trees and learned a ton. Thought I would share a JBP that I worked on. I bought this tree from a member of this site (which will remain anonymous, unless they want to chime in).

Before:

20181124_235458900_iOS.jpg

After:

20181126_224337100_iOS.jpg

It's still has work to do, and my wiring leaves lots to be desired, but I'm pleased w/ the direction. I was toying w/ the idea of removing the first branch. Bjorn gave me the confidence that it could work.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was toying w/ the idea of removing the first branch. Bjorn gave me the confidence that it could work.

I wouldn't... at least not for the next two or three years. Wait for this tree to fill in and for the apex to develop before you make this decision because it is ultimately based on the final height of the tree. Plus if you eliminate the lowest branch (on the right) you might want to consider the lowest branch on the left as your new primary. If that is the case you would want that left branch to be 50% longer than it is currently.

Last edited:

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't... at least not for the next two or three years. Wait for this tree to fill in and for the apex to develop before you make this decision because it is ultimately based on the final height of the tree.

Oops, I already did! :)

Actually, maybe I wasn't clear. I was toying w/ removing the first branch from the first photo. As you can see in the second photo (the "after"), I did cut off the branch. I don't plan on removing anymore branches from the "After" photo. As you said, now is the time to let it grow and fill in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ha, without reading the thread I was thinking “maybe remove the lowest branch (from the after photo),” but I agree that you can wait on it to see how it decelops. Great progress already; looks great.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha, thought the second image had the back branch(first branch) digitally edited.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

Figured you meant the "current" first branch!o_Oo_Oo_O:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nice piece of work as it stands now. Good job!!:cool::cool::cool:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that in Bonsai pot how to develop a trunk:confused:? Other than change of pot looks good;).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What trunk development are you talking about? And, it was in a bonsai pot before this repotting.

Potawatomi13, why do you post nonsense?
I think he meant how is the trunk going to grow any bigger since it is in the bonsai pot. I think the OP already happy with the trunk girth.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fall update.

As you can see, I lost a branch in the crown. I’ll mess with it in the spring I think. I didn’t candle cut since I re-potted. Assuming it pulls through winter and is as strong as I think it will be, I’ll candle cut next year.

602C26F8-2C6D-4DA9-B75F-2B28D3519897.jpeg

Top Bottom