Results of Joshua New Talent Contest !

Reaction score
Purging...Thanks!

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the best tree did not win. I know which one is Stacy's tree.

I will let this go for a couple days...I don't want to step on his pride just yet....

Hope you had a good time in San Francisco. It was really nice to meet you. It was good to talk a bit about bonsai and the shear size of this crazy stuff. These trees came from my friend Scott Chad, who has all the marvelous imported White pines.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I really really like trees #2,3, and 5. They look the most natural, IMO.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like tree #2 as my favorite. The rest are mediocre at best looking like standard first trim on most juni's you would see here.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

3 is my favorite. For natural.

5 has great deadwood. Close 2nd, but Id like to see the foilage behind the deadwood way closer to the DWood.

I hope 4 is not yours. That wicked trunk deserved better. And has the potential. I want it.

Stacy's tree is probly the one that just sold on ebay. Lol!

Thanks for sharing.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking number 5. But wait a minute. That's the obvious one. Maybe number2? I don't know. I hate these guessing games.

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Good material to start with!
That's new for a Talent contest ;)

I replay like the use of movement from the tree in the 5th photo and the one in the last although it looks like the participant didn't have enough time to finish it.

Also some really good trunks (pic 2 &4) beautiful. Great potential.
The tree in the 3th picture seems the most finished, but the unnatural curve in the main branch is really disturbing the overall image.

So I'd go with the 5th tree. Who won btw?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My guess is 5 won....I really like 4 but I'm a sucker for a tree that looks like an very old oak.

Brian

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
3 and 5 have the most dynamic styling and finished look...for me, it's a toss up for which one is better. The last one pictured (#8) is on its way, but needs a lot more work. Very good material to work with.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
From the photos, 5 appears to be the best, followed closely by 3.
4 has the best trunk, and unfortunately was not well worked.
8 looks like SAM work...not bad, tough material, and it appears you opted to work with more of an eye to its future by what was left in the foliage.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First of all, I swear, I did not get the idea for the Box Store Challenge from this contest! :)

To be fair, I do know one of the trees and its designer. They are all inspiring on different levels and none of the contestants would have been there if it wasn't for their already proven abilities. I'm just proud to know or be associated with at least two of the artists. I wish I could see them for real and not just a photo. Stacy, are you selling yours on .99 Cent Bonsai next week? If so, I pre-bid $8.99 :rolleyes:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know who won and who is #2 (it is all over FB) but got both #1 and #2 on my guess (as posted in FB before the judging).

#4 is IMHO the best stock but sadly NOT best styled (again opinion posted in FB before judging).

I think V did the most with the tree she got but "handicapped" because most trees IMHO have better potential than hers to begin with.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good material to start with!
That's new for a Talent contest ;)

I replay like the use of movement from the tree in the 5th photo and the one in the last although it looks like the participant didn't have enough time to finish it.

Also some really good trunks (pic 2 &4) beautiful. Great potential.
The tree in the 3th picture seems the most finished, but the unnatural curve in the main branch is really disturbing the overall image.

So I'd go with the 5th tree.

Great summation, I agree in all counts. ;)

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm leaning towards 2, 3 and 5 which stand out (IMHO), but if I had to choose, then I'd go with #5. I'm sure all the new talents had fun with them.
Cheers G.

Top Bottom