Results of Joshua New Talent Contest !

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Awesome sketch Si! How I wish I can see the way you did.

I too think tree #4 is the best but was not maximized.

Aw shucks! ;)
I think you got it already. Maybe you only need to sketch it out more that's all.
The next question is why you think tree #4 is best.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The next question is why you think tree #4 is best.

As with most things, I just knew. I can see it even when I cannot pin point what it is that made it appeal to me. It is mostly the vein/sinewy muscle movement on the trunk. Also the compact branch placements with similar twisted movement.

BTW, I posted my choice for best (#5 and #2) as well as the best raw tree (#4) on Facebook before the results. Also posted it on this thread (see post #17)

You're so kind. I know I am not at that level yet because, I kept looking at your sketch and back to the tree. I know it is very doable and all the components are there but I really did not see it the way you did. Hopefully someday. :)

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Man, I was thinking the exact same thing just now!
I don't know who did tree#4, and I hope he/she doesn't mind, but here's how I would have done it, using only the 2 top branches. In general, for a new tree, I would usually chop almost everything off and start over. To me, trunk line ( after the nebari) is most important. So with tree #4, I would eliminate all divergent lines and keep the one most interesting line going for as long as possible. The front of the tree may be on the other side with this line though.
All cool trees! Congrats to everybody.

agreed. would be a good look.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tree number one isn't been show from it's front.
I got this picture of facebook

attachment.php

Attachments

• 67265_1531022160470891_8815290017729823898_n.jpg
    67265_1531022160470891_8815290017729823898_n.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 81

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
As with most things, I just knew. I can see it even when I cannot pin point what it is that made it appeal to me. It is mostly the vein/sinewy muscle movement on the trunk. Also the compact branch placements with similar twisted movement.

BTW, I posted my choice for best (#5 and #2) as well as the best raw tree (#4) on Facebook before the results. Also posted it on this thread (see post #17)

You're so kind. I know I am not at that level yet because, I kept looking at your sketch and back to the tree. I know it is very doable and all the components are there but I really did not see it the way you did. Hopefully someday. :)

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post. I got here late and only read the original post and some later ones. I was traveling. I had to go back and read almost the entire thread twice before I could figure out which tree won (tree #5 right?). I have FB but I am not friend with anybody so no bonsai news for me there. It would be cool if somebody could post the complete result here, like who did what tree and what the judges said.

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Tree number one isn't been show from it's front.
I got this picture of facebook

attachment.php

Now I like it better. Now it makes sense. The side view was too confusing. Now it need just a little fine tuning and it could be a winner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom