Resurrection Tree

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes it’s a common heavenly bamboo, aka Nandina domestica so why Resurrection Tree? Well a couple months ago I was picking up i the lower yard after a storm when I saw this root ball sticking iut of the compost pile. I pulled it out and it was a clump of heavenly bamboo my wife had pulled up and tossed on the pile. There was still one small shoot with green leaves so I figured why not. I brought it up to the house and stuck it in a pot of bonsai mix, gave it a shot of Rhizotonic, and put it out in the sun. Well it now it is popping buds on each of the shoots in the clump. My wife keeps telling me these are almost impossible to kill and I guess this just oroves her right—she’s always right no matter what! Anyway once it really starts to show sogns of ocmolpete recovery I’ll look aorund for a bonsai pot for it.

47D4D789-ADF3-40CF-BCC7-2B960DA0567E.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Time for an update. The clump is doing well but it is getting a bit leggy, so I am wondering about pruning itback to encourage more branches lower down.

A7002150-42ED-45EF-991F-39C272625AC2.jpeg

Last winter one growing tip died but it had a dormant bud lower down so I cut back to it and was rewarded with a new shoot.

000AE03E-8EBC-42B4-BE27-FCB928029235.jpeg

So now I am encouraged to wash and repeat on the other leggy stems. However none of them have any visible dormant buds like this one. Below shows the problem.

4DACA0FE-5279-4CE4-BE81-5A0F2690CEAB.jpeg

Does anyone have any experience pruning these back especially on leggy stems with no visible dormant buds?

Top Bottom