Return of the Caterpillars!

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone battling with these guys every year? I walked around and saw that most of my deciduous trees are being eaten by caterpillars. I sprayed Thuricide (BT) this morning and will continue spraying until they're gone.

What's your course of action with these guys?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't have much of them, and when i see them i will confront them, often ending in a hand-to-hand combat (mostly won by me).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At first sign of any pest here I dose them with Bayer 3 in 1. Not many pests here though. Mainly rose chafe beetles.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spiders.

CAM00830.jpg

I tries saving this one for my daughter. When I checked for it.....it was already sucked to a shrivel!

Spiders.

Sorce

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Unfortunately, manual removal isn't possible because its an infestation! :confused: I have very tall red maple trees (30+ ft) that overhangs my backyard and right on top of my bonsai. These red maple appear to be the source of the caterpillars because I've seen clumps of fallen red maple leaves that are PACKED with caterpillars.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Haven't seen them down this way (lower Hudson Valley) yet. Thankfully.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unfortunately, manual removal isn't possible because its an infestation! :confused: I have very tall red maple trees (30+ ft) that overhangs my backyard and right on top of my bonsai. These red maple appear to be the source of the caterpillars because I've seen clumps of fallen red maple leaves that are PACKED with caterpillars.
Oh, you are not talking about bonsai, but trees in your landscape??
My area of the country is renowned for tent caterpillars. If I can reach the branch I squish them. I use a pole trimmer to reach the nests that are higher, but again squish the buggers. But I have seen deciduous trees that were one big tent web wind up defoliated. A month or so later the tree was had a full healthy canopy (hmmm, where did the idea of defoliating bonsai come from? :confused:).

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, you are not talking about bonsai, but trees in your landscape??
My area of the country is renowned for tent caterpillars. If I can reach the branch I squish them. I use a pole trimmer to reach the nests that are higher, but again squish the buggers. But I have seen deciduous trees that were one big tent web wind up defoliated. A month or so later the tree was had a full healthy canopy (hmmm, where did the idea of defoliating bonsai come from? :confused:).

I"m talking about my bonsai trees.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only had 5 or so clumps. Picked them off the trees and placed them in a shrub 100m down the road. Also caterpillars have a right to live, in my view.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interesting. Did you see the assassins attacking the caterpillars? Did you place the assassin eggs near each your trees?

Yes, clearly attacking them. I had an infestation though. They didn't get ALL of them, but enough to give me some relief and get the numbers down enough I could keep my bonsai picked clean. When all over the landscape they keep ending up in the bonsai every evening.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Put a couple birdhouses up near the tree? Assuming they are a kind bird will eat.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When we were kids we put charcoal lighter on the tents and lit them up. I was young so give me a break. We only had to have the fire department over once.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had a problem with caterpillars on my beech last year. Problem was, I could never see them, so I assume it was a nocturnal thing. I sprayed with BT and the problem went away.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, after further research, I'm not crazy after all. Winter Moth caterpillars are a known problem here in Massachusetts with pockets that have serious infestation. Unfortunately, my backyard is evidently one of those pockets.

I'm going to try Spinosad as suggested by the article. I'm already using BT and will continue to use it.

https://ag.umass.edu/fact-sheets/winter-moth-overview

Top Bottom