Returning to Bonsai after 10 years.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Was unsuccessful wintering my trees in N. IL near the WI border. Looking for surefire solutions for protecting outdoor trees through these tough winters. Have some Mugos, Black pine, Austrian Pine, and some Junipers. Have read several ideas for wintering but would like to find one that works for people in zone 5b and colder. appreciate any help

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We been looking for your ass way longer than that.

On the ground is best and least confusing.

-28degrees.
20191006_180852.jpg

20191006_180843.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Got a couple suggestions.

Most of my trees are in plastic pots. (freezing won't break plastic pots)

With trees that are native to Illinois & Wisconsin, and areas further north. Just "Set 'em Down on da Ground". I used to worry about winter sun or winter shade, for most it really don't matter. Take the pots off the bench, set 'em down, and forget them. This is with trees hardy through zone 5 and into zone 4 or colder. Trees that this has worked well for me include Ponderosa Pine, Larix species, JWP, Thuja occidentalis, Spruce - including colorado blue, engleman, oriental spruce, and Black Hills spruce. Amur maple, Acer ginnala, and northern sourced red maple, Acer rubrum. Parthenocissus, Malus (flowering crab), Amelanchier (serviceberry), Hinoki cypress (Chamaecyparis obtusa). Large leave cultivars of flowering quince (Chaenomeles), Bur Oak, Quercus macrocarpa, Many native and introduced elms, Ulmus. Blueberries - highbush types, blueberries low bush types. The list goes on and on. Note: all on this list are native or survive well at least 100 miles north of me. Just plop it on the ground is good with hardy material. Marginal species you have to do something else.

Note, the trees above will be fine. If they are in fancy or not so fancy bonsai pots, there is the chance the pot will break from the soil mass expanding. Make sure the shape of the pot allows the frozen soil mass to lift as it expands. Walls of pots should slope out as they go up, then the soil mass will rise as it freezes. Walls that curve in will lock the soil mass in place and even high quality supposed "frostproof'' clays will break. So if you have trees in fancy pots, evaluate the shapes of the pots before you risk leaving the good pots out for the winter.

I am fortunate enough to have a well house that is not in use. It was built like a root cellar, the floor is 5 feet below ground level. It is covered by my concrete patio, and I have a trap door to get into it cut through the foundation of the house. It stays between 32 F and 40 F (0 - 4 C) all winter long. THis is where I winter marginal and tender trees. This is also where trees in expensive pots go for the winter.

You can get away with an unheated garage, or even a tool shed. It you don't put the trees in until after the ground freezes, and get them out in early spring, you don't have to worry about light, just make sure they don't dry out.

But more an more I try to only grow species that do well in zone 4, which is colder than my zone 5b climate. This way, I don't have to hustle them around in autumn and spring. Just down on the ground.

My well house for winter - no lights, include Satsuki azalea, Japanese black pine, & anything in pots worth more than $100.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am fortunate enough to have a well house that is not in use. It was built like a root cellar, the floor is 5 feet below ground level.

I'm wondering how an outside concrete basement stairwell covered by Bilco doors would work. (Assuming you don't regularly need it for access and your trees will fit.) I've never checked the temps in mine, but it's mostly below grade and would be protected fully from the wind. My only concerns would be potential heating if the sun shines on the metal doors, and possibly mice. Does anyone overwinter trees like this?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm wondering how an outside concrete basement stairwell covered by Bilco doors would work. (Assuming you don't regularly need it for access and your trees will fit.) I've never checked the temps in mine, but it's mostly below grade and would be protected fully from the wind. My only concerns would be potential heating if the sun shines on the metal doors, and possibly mice. Does anyone overwinter trees like this?
There is a Canadian BNut, who winters his Japanese maple in exactly such a set up. You can always lay a layer of styrofoam insulation board over or under the metal doors for added insulation. Keep a small fan on 24/7 to keep air moving in the space. Traps and or baits could take care of the mice. There are more than one other person using such a set up. It does work, and fairly similar to my well house set up.

Top Bottom