Reuse soil?

Bonsaidoctor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I put some saplings into a large bonsai pot earlier this year- and am transferring them. (Why is a good question- but one which I am not asking :). I am wondering if I can reuse the soil- It’s about 50% akadama, 25% lava, 25% pumice. Seems like good soil to me. There are a few stringy tiny roots. My question- can I reuse the soil (probably let it dry then put it into container for future use). thoughts?

E4BD3E8F-95DD-4DCC-A88E-BB429E4C6C56.jpeg

FE5212D5-C09C-44FD-8EAE-D8F3BD454EDB.jpeg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
An experienced guy in my club suggested he pours it in a bucket of water to remove organics then bakes it in the oven before reuse

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
An experienced guy in my club suggested he pours it in a bucket of water to remove organics then bakes it in the oven before reuse
This guy must be retired to have the time and not have a spouse/parter to yell at him for putting this in the oven?! Setting it out in the sun in a pan- or I use a plastic concrete mixing tub or IKEA plastic trays will take care of a lot of anaerobic "bugs". Then sift.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This guy must be retired to have the time and not have a spouse/parter to yell at him for putting this in the oven?!
Lol, he is retired and I'm not sure if he has any house mates. I often cook with a ceramic charcoal grill, I considered just having a pan of recycled soil ready to put on it after cooking. Of course I'm so new I'm still repotting out of potting soil.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am reluctant to use my used bonsai soil for two reasons: 1) I'm not sure if the absorptive material maintains its original capacity, and 2) Salt accumilation from fertilizer. However, I do mix it in my potting soil for use with outdoor flowers.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am reluctant to use my used bonsai soil for two reasons: 1) I'm not sure if the absorptive material maintains its original capacity, and 2) Salt accumilation from fertilizer. However, I do mix it in my potting soil for use with outdoor flowers.
Agreed if you are using organic components for soil and inorganic fert. I do it the other way around!

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use both. I'm not a chemist or bonsai expert by any means but I feel more assured using clean, organic and inorganic media. Insurance, real or perceived...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are plenty of uses for my used soils in the garden or in planters and raised beds. I prefer starting with new soil although I will accept that any soil can be reused for any purpose if it meets the criteria of the soil needed for that use. I see the breakdown of the soil the largest obstacle for reuse as bonsai soil but everyone has a formula that works for them and some have more of a propensity for breaking down than others. That should be pretty obvious.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have refused some soil a couple of times.
I never worry about any salt accumulation.
If anyone should that would be me.
I like to put it to them.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I reuse soil for things like first potting out of a nursery can, potting up something I recently dug up, or something in training that still needs a lot of growing medium. For things that are go8ng into a bonsai pot, I use fresh.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Indeed. Most used here is pumice and lasts many many years. If hard for one to get makes it much more economical;). No worries.

Top Bottom