Reusing Moss for Air Layers

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just learned that sphagnum moss is particularly good at preventing bacterial and viral infections. This immediately caused me to realize that this is one reason it's so popular for use in air layering. However, it's also caused me to question whether or not sphagnum moss would be suitable to reuse as air layering medium. If it's inherently sterile, then it should really pick up any infections after use. This obviously only applies when you can remove the moss from the air layer. In my case, that means failed layer = easy moss removal.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use dirt. I find that wild trees often grow in dirt in many places in the world including right here near me. Wood eating utensils were favored by early man and today's cutting boards in kitchens are more sanitary than plastic or other common materials because wood contains enzymes that kill bacteria and the other materials do not. The bacteria hides in the knife cuts and is hard to wash out. I suspect that roots which have a lot in common with wood have similar abilities. Put that in your Funk & Wagnalls.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm not sure that science has proved sphagnum to be antiseptic. It actually comes from swamps where there are plenty of bacteria, etc so Not sure why it will only pick up infection after use on layers. Sphagnum does seem to have some properties that help rooting which may or may not be just the physical properties of air and water retention.
I've certainly reused sphagnum and have not noticed any less rooting 2nd or 3rd time round.
It does eventually start to break down so there is a limit to how many times it should be used. The small handful that is used for a layer will probably not break the bank to replace anyway.

Top Bottom