Reusing Soil..?

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm talking primarily about inorganics specific to me such as lava, pumice and turface. This is the first year I've done it, and I added some more organic (pine bark) back into the mix. Also, I resifted and am using the larger particles mostly, although the small particles (pictured) would be good for smaller trees, no?

Wouldn't you get the most bang for your buck if you used humic acid ferts with something like this as well?

In the end, I don't see why this would be bad for trees, if so please explain.

Attachments

• reusable_small_particle.jpg
    reusable_small_particle.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 48

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Unless a tree has died of unknown causes, I reuse my lava, pumice and turface all the time. The reused stuff usually ends up in containers housing trees that are being grown out.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I've been reusing it for the same tree, with the fines sifted out. And as Dave said, I'll use it for trees being grown out. So far I haven't been willing to take used soil from one "good" tree and use it with another "good" tree, where "good" means a more advanced/developed tree.

I'll also use the extra stuff to amend my growing beds.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The pro's rinse a reuse and some even have mixed so many different types of lava, pumice, coal, akadama, and more that they have no idea what is in it. The joy of modern inorganic substrate!

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I reuse soil also. Pretty much same as what Dav4 said. :)

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
evmibo,

Dave, et all are using used soil the same way I do. My only additional concern would be what I see at Bonsai Nurseries all the time; reusing soil that had a good crop of weed the year before, especially aranaria and oxalis. I have, thankfully,never developed any big crops of weeds and the reason, I think, is that I completely dry the soil and sift it before reusing it. Weed seed is usually a fine and comes out of the mix, if it is dry. Drying also tends to kill any root pieces that could start growing again. I may get some little bits of dead roots, leaves or various other organic matter left behind in the soil I retain, but since I am using the soil to grow out plants to pre-bonsai status, I am more than OK with that.

Regards,
Martin

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the responses everyone. I had seen some mixed responses before, but now I have peace of mind ;)

Top Bottom