Reviving a pond cypress

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I couldn't resist and picked up an 8ft tall pond cypress in a 3 gal container at a local nursery. The tree was on clearance and is terribly weak with most of its leaves already fallen. The ones that are left are pale green or brown. What should I do to revive it? Should I repot, put in ground, or keep it in current pot and fertilize?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Water it and leave it in the pot for now. This time of year because of the amount of daylight bald/pond cypress can start to shed their leaves for Winter. I have 5 or 6 and this happens every year. One of mine is beginning to lose it's foliage, another one is just starting to brown and the others are still all green.

EDIT: Oh yeah, absolutely do not fertilize it!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do exactly as Vin said. When I moved up here from Florida I brought some with me and they looked like crap by the time they got up here. They were bone dry and loosing foliage. I watered them throughout the winter and planted them by our pond as soon they started budding in the spring. Now they are in great shape and have doubled in trunk width. I have never fertilized them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Water it and leave it in the pot for now. This time of year because of the amount of daylight bald/pond cypress can start to shed their leaves for Winter. I have 5 or 6 and this happens every year. One of mine is beginning to lose it's foliage, another one is just starting to brown and the others are still all green.

EDIT: Oh yeah, absolutely do not fertilize it!
Thank you.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Last weekend a storm came in and blew the pot around, separating the tree from the pot. I planted it the ground. I hope it survive.

Reaction score
Last weekend a storm came in and blew the pot around, separating the tree from the pot. I planted it the ground. I hope it survive.

I have my cypress in a pot that doesn't drain. AKA a 5 gallon bucket. It loves just sitting in water. I got mine in a similar state to yours.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly I think It will be fine in the ground. I had Thuja planted in my landscape in the fall last year. Was told to water once a week.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The other cypress I have all show a new flush for the fall growing season once the weather cool down a bit in the South except for this pond cypress. It was sickly when I got it and its condition stays the same for the past month or so. I think it has become dormant. I hope it wakes up in the spring. I'll wait a few years for the trunk to fatten up then I'll dig it up and chop it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The other cypress I have all show a new flush for the fall growing season once the weather cool down a bit in the South except for this pond cypress. It was sickly when I got it and its condition stays the same for the past month or so. I think it has become dormant. I hope it wakes up in the spring. I'll wait a few years for the trunk to fatten up then I'll dig it up and chop it.
It is alive and well! The scaled leaves are interesting. It is still a long way from filling out with leaves but looks healthy.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The salt water from the hurricanes is affecting the pond cypress big time. I came out to my land and found it in poor shape. I am debating whether to wait until winter and dig it up or do it now when there is another month of growth before shutting down. I know it's not much time but any more time in the salt soaked soil just doesn't do the tree any good.

Alarider

Seed
Reaction score
The salt water from the hurricanes is affecting the pond cypress big time. I came out to my land and found it in poor shape. I am debating whether to wait until winter and dig it up or do it now when there is another month of growth before shutting down. I know it's not much time but any more time in the salt soaked soil just doesn't do the tree any good.
It would seem to depend on how much fresh water you can flood it with, too wash out the salt.

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I couldn't resist and picked up an 8ft tall pond cypress in a 3 gal container at a local nursery. The tree was on clearance and is terribly weak with most of its leaves already fallen. The ones that are left are pale green or brown. What should I do to revive it? Should I repot, put in ground, or keep it in current pot and fertilize?
How is the tree doing today? Interested in seeing an update.

Top Bottom