Reviving my bonsai

Vartty

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,
So apparently my bonsai hasn’t been doing well for the past 2 months. At first I thought it was due to the winter season and it will grow its leaves back, but it hasn’t produced a single leaf for the past 3 weeks or so. Unfortunately, I was away from home for about a month and an acquaintance took care of it for me. I examined the tree very carefully with my last left hope and I managed to see that some of the branches still have some green parts inside. What I did was pruning the dead branches, cut off all of the dead and rotten roots and repotted it in a new, same size pot. Please, take a look at both of the pictures. The first one was taken last March, 11 months ago. I’ve been keeping it indoors and it always looked fine.
Is there still some hope? Should I keep watering it?
P.S I think its a Chinese elm

Attachments

• ED76743D-5B03-486B-B654-9EA9B1039215.jpeg
    ED76743D-5B03-486B-B654-9EA9B1039215.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 564776CC-7927-4231-B1D3-0516C3ABCCA5.jpeg
    564776CC-7927-4231-B1D3-0516C3ABCCA5.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 87

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a Chinese elm, and most likely it's dead. Your only hope is to put it outside immediately, but only if it's not freezing where you are. When you pruned the roots, were there any white growing tips? If not, then that's even worse. But again, outdoors as soon as possible is your only hope.

Vartty

Seed
Reaction score
All I could see were red-ish roots which didn’t seem to be breaking that easily as the dead black ones. The temperature here drops around 0•C during the night so is that okay?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I could see were red-ish roots which didn’t seem to be breaking that easily as the dead black ones. The temperature here drops around 0•C during the night so is that okay?
Chinese elms can take quite a bit of cold. With that said, however, your tree is at the very least in a weakened state, so you'll probably be better off waiting for somewhat warmer temps to put it outside. Or failing that and if you can, outside during the day and inside on freezing nights until spring arrives.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just use that faux rock to smash the pot, burn the tree and buy another!

Welcome to Crazy!

Better to learn now, that though they may walk dogs, feed cats, or clean a rabbit tray, it's very hard to have a good bonsai tender, no matter how much they love you!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
0C is no problem for Chinese elm, even if it has been inside. It is up to you whether you keep trying to grow it inside or look for a good spot outside. They always seem to do better outside for me.

Chinese elm are hardy so there is still a good possibility it could reshoot but that won't happen until spring when the weather warms up. It is not uncommon for Chinese elm to have no leaves for 2-3 months in winter. Keep caring at least until mid spring to see if it recovers. The soil should be just damp rather than really wet.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also get that wire off as it is cutting into the bark, it's a tourniquet at this point.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just use that faux rock to smash the pot, burn the tree and buy another!

Welcome to Crazy!

Better to learn now, that though they may walk dogs, feed cats, or clean a rabbit tray, it's very hard to have a good bonsai tender, no matter how much they love you!

Sorce
Crepe Myrtle tends mine.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

If you can put it outdoors touching the ground at the foot of a south facing wall and mulch it with dead leaves over the edge of the pot up to the base of the tree, that's its best shot.

Vartty

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advices! This is my first bonsai so its kinda hard to keep it up with the best care.
Also, should I use a fertilizer when the spring starts, or the tree is too weakened for that?

Top Bottom