rhizotonic, do you use it?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking of getting some. I read that article before and forgot about it.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I just bought 1L for $60. Trying to save some trees with no roots. Enough people speak highly of it that I figured it was worth trying.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bet you would get great results with all your collecting of conifers and harder to collect trees.
I'm thinking so. Maybe. We'll see what others think but from the pics.in Harry Harrington's blog it might not be a gimmick.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, no. It's seaweed or kelp extract mostly along with some of the same questionable "supervitavegimin" crap that's in Superthrive.

It's marketed as "Canna Rhizotonic"sold to stoners who don't understand WTF it is, or where they are ;-). Some of the literature on it is downright hilarious. "It has a calming effect on plants." WTF? If you want to sink sixty bucks into a bottle of something you can get for half that, go for it. Ocean organics, Dry Roots, and a lot of other stuff that's not as expensive is out there. I've tried kelp extracts, seaweed etc. on established plants. Results were fair to middlin'.

As far as collecting goes, not really sure it's going to help all that much. Recovery from collection is mostly just letting a plant alone and knowing when it needs something. Pushing additives and stuff at it to 'help' really isn't going to. It's mostly just fussing for no reason.

BTW, Cut roots aren't really stimulated by applying rooting hormones. Rooting hormones mostly tell NON ROOT plant tissue to root from what I hear. Root tissue is already root tissue...

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am just about done a bottle of the stuff, third season of use.
I have been applying it once at full strength after collection then a small splash into the fert mix thereafter, used on all trees.

No idea if it helps, I try hard to collect trees that will survive regardless. I may or may not get another bottle, I should go look for that article.

It says it is derived from marine algae, not kelp or seaweed.
Here's the label if that helps. image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought a small bottle to try after reading Harrington's article. A grewia, ficus cutting and a couple of bougies all started growing stronger after I started using it. I can't verify that it was the tonic or just the timing of the regrowth. I might do a small sample size experiment with some cuttings once I get me vegetables in the ground.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Um, no. It's seaweed or kelp extract mostly along with some of the same questionable "supervitavegimin" crap that's in Superthrive.

It's marketed as "Canna Rhizotonic"sold to stoners who don't understand WTF it is, or where they are ;-). Some of the literature on it is downright hilarious. "It has a calming effect on plants." WTF? If you want to sink sixty bucks into a bottle of something you can get for half that, go for it. Ocean organics, Dry Roots, and a lot of other stuff that's not as expensive is out there. I've tried kelp extracts, seaweed etc. on established plants. Results were fair to middlin'.

As far as collecting goes, not really sure it's going to help all that much. Recovery from collection is mostly just letting a plant alone and knowing when it needs something. Pushing additives and stuff at it to 'help' really isn't going to. It's mostly just fussing for no reason.

BTW, Cut roots aren't really stimulated by applying rooting hormones. Rooting hormones mostly tell NON ROOT plant tissue to root from what I hear. Root tissue is already root tissue...

Makes sense... but pics on the site are stuff me and my friends down here have never seen.
I might try a quarter liter bottle with low expectations.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been tempted but have not tried it. Maybe if I could find a small/cheap bottle, maybe a close-out sale or something. It's a lot of money to put out for something this questionable.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Knew I saw this stuff somewhere years ago...

@ 7:47 - says he uses it on all his collected trees - and he collects some pretty hefty and raw stuff. Between him and Harry - maybe there's something to it???

I know from personal experience that hawthorn can be notorious for rooting slowly, so when I saw the article I was like "whaaaa?????" :confused: "roots? there? how?"

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It makes a huge difference on collected trees, trees with root issues and trees transplanted out of season. I've only been using it this season but I know many others who swear by it and I'm convinced it saved a juniper. I was ready to throw away a CA juniper I thought was dying and thought why not. The tree is going to make it now I believe it is due to rhizotonic and canna zyme I think its called that helps breakdown rotted roots. It is expensive and I wouldn't use it on run of the mill stuff but it definitely has a place in my bag of tricks now.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

They may be stoners but they can grow some pot and they are responsible for many advances in horticulture especially hydroponics.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They may be stoners but they can grow some pot and they are responsible for many advances in horticulture especially hydroponics.

Sounds like you got friends in high places!

You really can't deny it when you see a Has throw roots from the trunk above the soil....

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, marketing is marketing even if the product is pot. These kinds of cannabis-related hydroponic products seem to get a "bye" on criticism for some reason. Everyone drinks (or tokes) the Kool-Aide. The "they must know what they're doing since they're growing some primo DRUGS man" is a shaky argument and obscures the bottom line. Is this stuff worth the money?

There is some clinical proof that shows the "algae extract" thing has some merit. However, there are other products that are less expensive and more widely available that have similar stuff.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Um, marketing is marketing even if the product is pot. These kinds of cannabis-related hydroponic products seem to get a "bye" on criticism for some reason. Everyone drinks (or tokes) the Kool-Aide. The "they must know what they're doing since they're growing some primo DRUGS man" is a shaky argument and obscures the bottom line. Is this stuff worth the money?

There is some clinical proof that shows the "algae extract" thing has some merit. However, there are other products that are less expensive and more widely available that have similar stuff.
To me its worth the money but I'm in a different situation than the typical hobbyist. If you can show me the same results from something else I'd try it, $200 plus for 5 liters is expensive. I use this because I've seen the results personally and from a number of different people I'd be happy to spend less and get the same results. Like I said I wouldn't use it on run of the mill stuff but on a tree that potentially could be worth hundreds or thousands of dollars its a worthwhile investment to me. I would criticize it if I thought it didn't work but I've seen it work on my trees and on trees from people I know and trust.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If both graham potter and Harry Harrington say it works, I'm going to take their word for it.

250 ml making it's way to my doorstep

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just got some myself to try on some newly collected material.

For those of you that use it, what is your concentration and feeding regime?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I decided to give it a try.
a 250ml should last me the season for not too much money.

does this seem like a direct competitor with superthrive? Or are they different?

Top Bottom