Rhode Island Red

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the buds were just starting to open last week so i bare rooted and potted this over the weekend.

it is grated ,though it's tough to find the graft,and my plan was to ground layer it.
i changed my mind because 1-i like it as it is and 2-i've never done any layering and don't want this to be my ground layering practice tree.

i don't want to do too much at once so i'm gonna wait til next season to do any more to it.
i have some ideas on where i want to go with this styling wise but i'd love to hear any suggestions.

now hopefuly the snow and cold temps will leave so i can get this back outside

P1070294.JPG P1070297.JPG P1070298.JPG P1070299.JPG

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice looking tree. I can't see a graft and I also wouldn't ground layer it.
CW

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell yeah Dave!

I love Maxwell House.
JK !

That is very nice!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where is the graft? Is it up by the branches? Hard to see it, and with that base, I can see why you'd leave it. Very nice. I would think you could do some selective pruning now....
and then wire late next winter.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where is the graft? Is it up by the branches? Hard to see it, and with that base, I can see why you'd leave it. Very nice. I would think you could do some selective pruning now....
and then wire late next winter.

i've been studying this tree for a while and i can't find the graft.

what would your suggestions for what i should prune

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think with better lighting and perhaps some closer shots, the graft can be located.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's not find the graft!

That's a dope ass tree!

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice looking tree!

As soon as my neighbor's one make its leaves I air-layer it as it is clearly trespassing in my yard since I guy-wired one of its branch over the fence :p

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
what would your suggestions for what i should prune
I'd identify keeper branches and cut the rest off, it seems congested, with not a lot of inner ramification. Then I'd cut the keeper branches back to an inner bud. Everything is a bit too long and straight, needs a good solid wiring. But wait till the roots take hold so you don't break all the new root growth when you wire.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd identify keeper branches and cut the rest off, it seems congested, with not a lot of inner ramification. Then I'd cut the keeper branches back to an inner bud. Everything is a bit too long and straight, needs a good solid wiring. But wait till the roots take hold so you don't break all the new root growth when you wire.
ok thanks

Top Bottom