rhode island reds

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i've been trying to get some better material and a couple weeks ago posted a pic of one of Marks maples i was interested in,that i missed out on.

i still like that tree but i'm glad i waited cuz i think i like these more.
i have some ideas of where to go with these as far as styling but would love to get your advice

tree #1

Attachments

• P1070079.JPG
    P1070079.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 79
  • P1070080.JPG
    P1070080.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 79
  • P1070081.JPG
    P1070081.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P1070082.JPG
    P1070082.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 78
  • P1070083.JPG
    P1070083.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 76

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

I think the first one could be stubbed down to a couple nodes after the split to start building.

The second one....that one branch seems to thick...but if you chop it off smooth....it'll Probly send New branches there.

Score

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see the first one making a nice broom pretty easily. Pic 2 or pic 5 arepos Silberman fronts for a broom style. Consider hedging it off around where the picture cuts off in pic 2, making a nice dome shape, let it grow, cut again, rinse repeat until you have a tight, ramified crown up there...

Second tree needs more work IMO. Informal upright, using the right branch in pic 2 as you new leader, remove the other branch/ branches coming from that spot as Sorce seemed to imply. See if it pops a new bud in the right place to get a more horizontal branch there, if not threat graft one right at the base of where your new leader curves to pop out the other side and be a branch on the outside of the curve.

JMHO... I saw these for sale and thought about getting one myself, but I have so many Maples!

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Informal upright, using the right branch in pic 2 as you new leader
i didn't see that but now i do-thanks -thats why i asked for advice

what you're saying about tree 1 was what my thoughts were

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
maybe get some practice layering to remove that left branch as well

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice trees Dave! These are also from Mark right? He has good stuff at reasonable prices. Just recently I got a couple of threadleaf "viridis" maples growing on their own roots. It has been difficult for me to locate this particular variety that is not grafted. Mark had them so I bought two. My only complaint is that Mark's stuff usually has nice root work done on all his stock but both of my maples had mostly a one sided root system which will force me now to either air layer or wait and see if roots develop on the other side. The are young trees so maybe they'll generate roots if I give them a good prune.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yeah these are from Mark.i've purchased a bunch of trees from him this past year.he does have nice stuff and seems to be a nice guy
these are actually grafted,but it's tough to tell.i am however taking his advice and layering these next spring to get them on there own roots.
i want to get a kiyohime yatsubusa next and waiting on some pics-he's been very busy

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
yeah these are from Mark.i've purchased a bunch of trees from him this past year.he does have nice stuff and seems to be a nice guy
these are actually grafted,but it's tough to tell.i am however taking his advice and layering these next spring to get them on there own roots.
i want to get a kiyohime yatsubusa next and waiting on some pics-he's been very busy
Dave, you aren't that far away from his nursery. Might be worth a drive down to Old Lyme...although with his quantity of quality stock you could be tempted to empty your bank account.... lol

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yeah i'm probably less than an hour and a half away-but it's tough to find the time.
between work and having a son that plays hockey my schedule gets pretty full.
i will get up there one of these days.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
yeah i'm probably less than an hour and a half away-but it's tough to find the time.
between work and having a son that plays hockey my schedule gets pretty full.
i will get up there one of these days.
Me too. My son is up at WPI in Worcester so that has given me lots of time at NEBG (only about 30mins further up the Mass Pike) but haven't swung over to check out Mark yet...this spring I am going to try and do that for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom