Rhododendron "Amy Cotta"

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had a nice and healthy rhododendron "Amy Cotta" hanging out in a big pot outside my potting shed. Took a closer look at it and there is some very interesting trunklines. The flowers aren't that big and it's leaves and internodes are fairly compact. Thinking of trying to make it into bonsai. Does anyone have any experience on how these bushes may react if hard chopped or trained up? Would one treat them like azalias?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have one that I'm training in the ground, it back buds well but I haven't tried hard chopping too much. Leaves dont reduce much either but I still think it will work for a larger tree. I also prune them with my other azaleas but not 100% sure how similar they respond.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Size reduction of rhododendrons is much like reducing azaleas - chop it (whack it back) right after blooming. You can always do this progressively if you are leery. You know, like halve the height this year, half again next.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Size reduction of rhododendrons is much like reducing azaleas - chop it (whack it back) right after blooming. You can always do this progressively if you are leery. You know, like halve the height this year, half again next.
We have these giant rhodondendrons in the back yard, you mean to say I could chop those back to bare wood and they don't die?

Top Bottom