Rhododendron

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I purchased this plant back in 2014 and really haven't done anything with it other than a repot and some reduction in size. It doesn't seem to back bud much and was wondering if that is just a trait of these or if I cut it back real hard would it then force the tree to back bud? The reason I purchased it was that I liked the size of the trunk for the tree and the movement in the trunk. It could have more taper but well....... I need some opinions. Thank you for your help.

Jamie

100_3003.jpg

At time of Purchase 2014

100_3014.jpg

At time of Purchase July 2014

20160412_070209_resized.jpg

Today

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No advice, help or wisecracks?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No advice, help or wisecracks?

Here I just got the first of several attempts to Winter, survive, and bloom. Seems the last few had no interest in living with me :oops: All I can tell you honest is branches broken off by snow and wind do root ok. Also this one seems to be really be putting on a lot of new growth since the blooms dropped. I recall reading somewhere they did not take good to cutting back and pruning but I cannot verify that yet.

Grimmy

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
that is a weird looking rhododendron!
If it is like an azalea, I cut back really really hard, like johng shows in his videos.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
that is a weird looking rhododendron!
If it is like an azalea, I cut back really really hard, like johng shows in his videos.

Honest I just noticed that and was going to edit to mention it - it really does look more like an Azalea, especially the leafs. If so, you can really do some nasty cutting to it in early Spring... There are pictures in one thread here I posted - brutal hacks.

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I found the tag and it says "Rhododendron Pjm". It doesn't look like the other rhododendrons in my yard so that lead to my confusion. Does that help?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything I read said Azaleas are Rhodendron.

I'd like you to move it so I can get a look at that rooty one behind it!

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found the tag and it says "Rhododendron Pjm". It doesn't look like the other rhododendrons in my yard so that lead to my confusion. Does that help?

Yes, it is one of the PJM varieties(I think there is 4). They are supposed to be the most cold hardy and mine seems to be. As for pruning I found this article that covers when, why, etc... and it is accurate according to the Landscaper here. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/rhododendron/pruning-rhododendrons.htm Evidently they can handle it but the timing, at least in this area, is different then Azalea.

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for all of the information.

Guess I have done the little bit of pruning that I have done at the wrong time. That understood I still have not seen any backbudding which is what concerns me about doing any heavy cut back. I really don't want any new shoots from the ground as described in the pruning guide. Just want to get this reduced a bit and on a program of some sort.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like you to move it so I can get a look at that rooty one behind it!

Sorce[/QUOTE]

Here is that tree. http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/need-some-help-on-elm.18804/page-5#post-296060 I do not have any photos of it this spring but it in my opinion looks tons better. I will get some photos as soon as I pull it out of hibernation. I think that it is going to be a lot better this year. Thanks for asking

Jamie

Sorry, screwed up Sorce's quote, still can't quite figure those out.

Top Bottom