Rhododendrons and winterizing in pot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got a couple questions about rhododendrons or azaleas about winterizing in a pot.

I got a beautiful rhododendron that I've had all season and I want to keep it alive during the winter. I heard you can put it in styrofoam cooler with some Mulch and pine needles for the winter but I live in Northern New England and it gets pretty cold at least to -20 sometimes so what do you guys do except for putting it outside into the ground for keeping it in a pot or what would you suggest?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got a couple questions about rhododendrons or azaleas about winterizing in a pot.

I got a beautiful rhododendron that I've had all season and I want to keep it alive during the winter. I heard you can put it in styrofoam cooler with some Mulch and pine needles for the winter but I live in Northern New England and it gets pretty cold at least to -20 sometimes so what do you guys do except for putting it outside into the ground for keeping it in a pot or what would you suggest?

I have a potted Rhododendron a couple of season potted now that is borderline to my USDA Zone. It has really done great and all I really do is keep it shaded all Summer and when my Fruit trees drop leaf late Fall I move it to full East/West sun for the Winter. We rarely go to a minus temp though so you might try the same in addition to mulching it in as you described.
Azalea I do the same with when I have standards but Satsuki Azalea NEED Winter protection. Here the Satsuki go into the shed which gets cold but never freezes - and they need light!

Grimmy

Reactions: Vin

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Try to figure out the exact type.
Many azaleas are ....or can be treated like...subtropical trees.
I keep mine in my attached / unheated garage, where they do get some southern sunlight....for winter.
So far so good.
My garage stays cold enough to keep deciduous trees dormant, but never freezing....usually around 40-50 deg F.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Try to figure out the exact type.
Many azaleas are ....or can be treated like...subtropical trees.
I keep mine in my attached / unheated garage, where they do get some southern sunlight....for winter.
So far so good.
My garage stays cold enough to keep deciduous trees dormant, but never freezing....usually around 40-50 deg F.
I really don't have a place for it to go that stays 40 to 50 degrees where I am and when ole man winter knocks it gets damn Cole here in the negatives. My rhododendron is a PJM rhodie and they thrive up here but I really don't want to put it in the ground.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
PJM rhodie and they thrive up here but I really don't want to put it in the ground.

They handle USDA Zone 5

I heard you can put it in styrofoam cooler with some Mulch

Most are evergreen, change leaf color but don't drop them. The cooler mulched in would be close to overkill but it won't hurt it. Make sure it has drain holes and it is propped up a bit so it can drain.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really don't have a place for it to go that stays 40 to 50 degrees where I am and when ole man winter knocks it gets damn Cole here in the negatives. My rhododendron is a PJM rhodie and they thrive up here but I really don't want to put it in the ground.
Is the plant you have from a local nursery? If so, it will be fine mulched into a protected garden bed. Local nurseries, unless they're crooks or clueless, typically sell plants that will survive in the climate.

I'd skip the cooler--It presents a possible swamp for the plant if it doesn't drain. I'd get the plant into an in-ground growing bed--you can put the containerized plant in the bed. You can check out this thread too. I just went over how I overwinter all of my trees in that string. Although you are in a considerably colder zone, the ideas (And possibly the practices) can apply to your situation.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/wintering-japanese-maple.29481/#post-492225

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd skip the cooler--It presents a possible swamp for the plant if it doesn't drain.

That is why I pointed out making sure it does drain. The main reason though is does not seem to have a ground option and most any container protection would negate wind damage.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is the plant you have from a local nursery? If so, it will be fine mulched into a protected garden bed. Local nurseries, unless they're crooks or clueless, typically sell plants that will survive in the climate.

I'd skip the cooler--It presents a possible swamp for the plant if it doesn't drain. I'd get the plant into an in-ground growing bed--you can put the containerized plant in the bed. You can check out this thread too. I just went over how I overwinter all of my trees in that string. Although you are in a considerably colder zone, the ideas (And possibly the practices) can apply to your situation.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/wintering-japanese-maple.29481/#post-492225
Thank you

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is why I pointed out making sure it does drain. The main reason though is does not seem to have a ground option and most any container protection would negate wind damage.

Grimmy
I remember someone saying that they know of someone who bubble wrapped their pots for winter...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about a sack o' burlap filled up with some mulch?
You cheap? An old box makes a "good" wind deflector.....even cheaper? Put it on top of a dishwasher rack underneath a trash barrel.....

just shootin' bullets here....oops, ideas......:eek::oops::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom