Rhus trilobata ‘Autumn Amber’ Three Leaf Sumac – Fall Colors

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall has arrived in the Rocky Mountains as evidenced by this Rhus trilobata‘Autumn Amber’ Three Leaf Sumac that is turning into its fall colors for all to see at the Denver Botanic Gardens Bonsai Pavilion. Enjoy the beautiful fall colors, light a fire in the fireplace, grab some cheese/crackers, nice bottle of wine and read a book, Bonsai of course. Great tree for beginners to learn on.

IMG_7606 (2).JPG
IMG_7608 (2).JPG
IMG_7611 (2).JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I love Rhus aromatica - fragrant sumac and Rhus trilobata - three leaf sumac. They look similar, but are easy enough to tell apart, Rhus aromatica has a pleasant spicy fragrance when leaves are crushed. Rhus trilobata has a rank odor when leaves are crushed.

I like this tree. And it is appropriate style for its pot. Pot pleasantly highlights the color without upstaging it.

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love Rhus aromatica - fragrant sumac and Rhus trilobata - three leaf sumac. They look similar, but are easy enough to tell apart, Rhus aromatica has a pleasant spicy fragrance when leaves are crushed. Rhus trilobata has a rank odor when leaves are crushed.

I like this tree. And it is appropriate style for its pot. Pot pleasantly highlights the color without upstaging it.
That is a nice pot. I bought it off Ebay, there was gentleman selling his hand made pots there. There high quality pots. The pot in the photo has multiple colors to it all though they are very subtle. He actually has a cool design on the bottom of the pot which I never see in pots. Alas, he has quit selling on Ebay for some reason. I am going to check out Rhus aromatica and see what is available in our area. It was a pleasure to design this tree and then give it to the gardens. I picked a couple more this spring. They will not look like this one for sure, probably more of a traditional design.

Top Bottom